Groups path not coloring all notes in a directory, coloring notes outside of directory

Steps to reproduce

Just to note, I found this starting with a fresh install on windows (I’m a new user). The first bug, not coloring all notes in directory, I could not reproduce in the sandbox when I tried, but it happened and is happening on my fresh install with nothing added.

• Add folder called “Dev”
  • Add folder called “School”
  • Add subfolder Dev/App Ideas
  • Add subfolder School/CSS231 Capstone
  • Add two .md files to App Ideas
  • Add one .md file to CSS231 Capstone
  • Add group with path:Dev

Notice that the Capstone App Development is included in this group, but it’s not under the Dev folder. It does have “Dev” in the name of the file.

Additional bug that did not show up when I tried in the the sandbox:
General App Ideas is colored correctly, but C7 App Ideas is not colored at all, despite being under the same directory.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes I did!

Expected result

C7 App Ideas and General App Ideas colored, nothing else colored. (Only color under the folder Dev/*

Actual result

Some notes within dev not colored, notes outside of dev with “Dev” in the name get colored

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.3
Installer version: v1.5.3
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19045
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Base theme: adapt to system
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

Sandbox:

My Fresh Install (Where I first noticed):

I think it’s a matter of search syntax.

Check out the docs about search.

Thanks, sorry I’m still learning this, did not realize I had forgot to remove the “dev” at the beginning in my non-sandbox.

See below, the search for path:“dev” works now that I’ve removed “dev” from the beginning, but it also catches the “Capstone App Development I” node that is not under the Dev folder path.

It seems like if the name of the note has the word in it, it will then count as having it in it’s path, which makes sense under the definition of “path”, but is not what I’d expect from the behavior, since there is also a filename: search.

The only way around this I can find is to have another group that sits above it on the list that overrides.

If you put Dev in quote marks I think it’ll match only as a word and not as part of a word.

Do you mean in the path: search? I tried that in the 3rd screenshot, you can see the path still matches the part of the file name “Development”, but I have path:“dev” in quotes.

Have you tried doing path: /^Dev/ which uses regex to require the match to be at the start, or possibly also path: "Dev/" which requires the folder delimiter to be present.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.