Graph timelapse timing resets after (re)indexing/moving files into (sub)folders

To create a timed network, I use the Note Refactor plugin on a single file with headers/content sorted according to timestamp. The refactored files work well with the “Start graph timelapse” command, until you start moving refactored files into subfolders. This behaviour also occurs for manually created files:

• When moving files within Obisidian, the timelapse timing resets to whatever the vault is sorted at (e.g. Alphabetically, Created or Modified).

• When moving files outside Obisidian, the timelapse timing resets to the order in which moved files are (re)indexed.

• Additionally, when moving files into subfolders in batches, the timelapse starts from the first batch that is moved into a subfolder, then the second, etc. regardless of sorting. This scrambles the original order of creation.

Steps to reproduce

1. Create some files (e.g. C, B, A, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1)
  2. Link files sequentially ( “C” > [[B]], “B” > [[A]], “A” > [[9]], “9” > [[8]] etc.)
  3. Run graph timelapse command, timelapse starts at “C”
  4. Sort files Alphabetically
  5. Move files into a subfolder
  6. Run graph timelapse again, now starts at “1”

Expected result

Timelapse animation in the order files were created, rather than the order of indexing.

Actual result

Timelapse animation in the order files were sorted/indexed.

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10
  • Obsidian version: 0.12.3

Additional information

The original ordering can be kept by sorting files Old to New. However, this workaround remains problematic when moving files from a single root folder into multiple subfolders: the original creation sequence is reordered according to the order in which files are moved into subfolders.

Suggestion

Run the graph timelapse based on timestamps found in YAML header, and fall back on system file creation date when missing.

1 Like

The time lapse graph was meant to produce a cool animation. That’s it.
There isn’t much thought in guaranteeing an ordering. Please, open a FR.

1 Like

I just refactored my vault to a different file structure and location and now the timelapse animation is showing files appearing in the wrong order. Was a FR opened for this?

It seems to be fixed if the created date of files remains untouched.

https://forum.obsidian.md/t/obsidian-release-v0-12-13/21959?u=demeneer

1 Like

Hi @demeneer !
I´m trying to do a timelapse animation and unfortunately can´t find a new button in the “Display” section, neither a magic wand (when the settings panel is closed).
Could you help me ? Tks in advanced :wink:
My version is v012
Sending printscreens:

sorry, current version 0.14.6
installer version: v0.12.15