GPT for the privacy-conscious: GPT4All

Just learned about the GPT4All project via Mozilla’s IRL Podcast: With AIs Wide Open

GPT4All is an open-source software ecosystem that allows anyone to train and deploy powerful and customized large language models (LLMs) on everyday hardware. Nomic AI oversees contributions to the open-source ecosystem ensuring quality, security and maintainability.

GPT4All software is optimized to run inference of 3-13 billion parameter large language models on the CPUs of laptops, desktops and servers.

GPT4All Documentation

There’s a number of ChatGPT3/4-based Obsidian plugins available, which I’ve avoided due to privacy and data protection concerns.

Data sharing can be disabled in GPT4All which can be used locally without an internet connection. It comes with a “LocalDocs Plugin” which is currently in Beta and is already powerful and able to query your own files in various document formats ( docx, PDF, txt, ePub … ) — though no summarization capabilities yet.

I’d love to see and use GPT4All-based plugins for text generation, auto-tagging and other tasks in my Obsidian vault.

9 Likes

+1 would love to have this feature. However, I don’t think that there is a native Obsidian solution that is possible (at least for the time being). There are workarounds, this post from Reddit comes to mind: https://www.reddit.com/r/ObsidianMD/comments/18yzji4/ai_note_suggestion_plugin_for_obsidian/

This solution requires you to run a docker container with AI vector search agent which then talks to your Obsidian vault.

1 Like