Google bookmarks to Obsidian

Hello there!

I’ve been collecting useful links along the years on my google bookmarks, I’m having them in folders of different topics on the bookmark bar of my browser, with subfolders, subsubfolders, and so on…

The point is that I’ve figured out that although I have many useful stuff there, I never use it because the system has friction as you have to wander around folders in 4/5 levels to find what you want.

So i was basically wondering if someone around here has had this problem as well and has discovered someway to put the bookmarks into obsidian in a more efficient way, because I’ve been thinking about it for a while and I would love to know more opinions before expending a good few hours setting up over +500 bookmarks into Obsidian.

Nothing else pals, thanks in advance and wish you a great day!

1 Like

I participated in a related obsidian conversation on the subject a while back …

Convert exported bookmarks (HTML) into mindmap

Extracting the bookmark hierarchy/indentation is virtually impossible.

The “Export bookmarks to Markdown” chrome extension is handy.

“The point is that I’ve figured out that although I have many useful stuff there, I never use it because the system has friction as you have to wander around folders in 4/5 levels to find what you want.”

I find the Bookmark Manager Plus chrome extension invaluable for this.

I also use the Humble New Tab Page to have easy access to my bookmarks.

PS: The betterbookmarks_py Python script produces a foldable bookmarks file, based off a desktop chrome bookmarks.json file; need to see whether this script could be adapted for Obsidian use.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.