Global hotkey to add note

Hotkey that works globally, to add a note.
I’d like to press, for example, ctrl+F1 to get a popup where i can write a few lines that are either
a) added to a tickler/inbox file of my choosing
b) added to the daily file
c) creates a new file with first line as filename,subsequent lines as file content

With “globally” I mean that no matter what app I have open, there is an overlay from Obsidian where I input my spontaneous - and very, very fleeting - idea.

Time is of the essence here. Before I can alt+tab to obsidian and click my inbox file it will probably have evaporated in an anticlimactic whisp of black smoke, leaving nothing but a vague feeling of frustration in it’s wake :slight_smile:

23 Likes

I’d like to see this as well and added a request here: Meta Post - Hotkeys

1 Like

This would be great!

2 Likes

Hadn’t noticed that thread. Thanks!

This would be an amazing feature to have! One of my dependence on Evernote is its ability to invoke a new note from any application on windows 10.

It’s a workaround but simply put Obsidian in the taskbar in a convenient position so it can be activated using Ctrl + 1 for example and then press Ctrl + N or use Ctrl + 9 followed by Ctrl + N so that you can press Ctrl with your left pinky then quickly press 9 then N with your right hand middle and index fingers respectively.

With the upcoming release of 0.15.0 which allows popped out windows this could be an even more powerful feature.

What I’m envisioning are two shortcuts:

1. One that opens a new note.
  2. One that opens the quick open dialog, let’s me choose a note that already exists, opens it in a separate window and let’s me edit/append said note.

These features would greatly improve my Obsidian experience. I’m a heavy user of multiple desktops and Obsidian only lives on one of them. Having the option to quickly jot down a note wherever would be absolutely great!

Heyo!
I figured a manual way to do this, using AutoHotkey to focus on the obsidian window and then send out the keyboard combination for the shortcut of a new note.
That works blazing fast and might work for you too :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 would use this a lot, especially current daily note.

Check out quickadd’ s documentation, under get inspired