General autocompletion

Obsidan already has a fast autocompletion system for links, I would like to have autocompletion for everything else.

There are two options that would make my life much easier:

• Completion of words from a dictionary (English, latex/python/others if inside the appropriate codeblock…)
  • Completion of words already present in the currently open note (or directory. Maybe easier than the other option?)

For example, my notes contain a lot of math, and it would be great if inside a $$ … $$ block Obsidian suggested \varepsilon as I start typing the first few characters.

I am not an expert when dealing with codemirror, but it appears to have some autocomplete functionality: see here.

13 Likes

I’m a heavy user of autocomplete, and also keep missing this.

I agree that the best solution would be a combination of words in the current note, and words from an optional user-defined dictionary. Bonus points if dictionaries are searched in out from the current file in subdirectory order.

It’s important that the autocomplete be fuzzy, once you’re used to fuzzy autocomplete, non-fuzzy becomes worse than no autocomplete.

3 Likes

I am a graduate student studying Mathematics and trying to use Obsidian for my research. Since it doesn’t have auto-completion for Latex command, it’s actually a pain to type combinations of Maths symbols in the notes. I really hope this problem will be solved.

I am a graduate student myself (in Physics). What I’ve settled on is to use autokey for the most common time saving patterns (\mathbf{}, \frac{}{}, …).

When this is not enough, I open a terminal and use vim with my snippets, and then paste the result in obsidian. This solution is suboptimal, but I hope that it will give you some inspiration while we wait for autocompletion in obsidian.

1 Like

Yes, it would be nice to have a plugin for autocomplete with Tab like in Sublime Text for all the words in the current document.

This might be relevant: GitHub - tadashi-aikawa/obsidian-various-complements-plugin: This plugin for Obsidian enables you to complements input in markdown files. 🦉

3 Likes

I recommend using atext or text expander to auto complete custom keyword, like my name

1 Like

Text Expander is an Amazing, flexible program.

That is what I use for autocompletion.

We now also have GitHub - tth05/obsidian-completr: Auto-completion plugin for the obsidian editor.

You can even have both on at the same time if you’re a masochist :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it just me or does every autocomplete suggestion revert to lower case? The suggestion is very frequently correct, but it takes more time to fix the capitalization error, unless I am missing a setting. Any tips? :slight_smile:

Ah, related. I just realized I have ‘Auto complete’ and ‘Completr’ instaleld at the same time. Completr does have a setting for ignoring case or not. Perhaps that’s the issue. Will try both, solo.

Hmm, nope. No luck. Autom complete is no longer maintain. Completr is maintained, but ‘Ignore case’ does not appear to have any functionality. I tried ‘…a test of the Emergency Broadcasting System’ and it in both states it guesses each word and lower-cases the word… :frowning: