.gdoc file associated with png files not loading, Obsidian lagginess and freezing within a vault stored on Google Drive with many images

• I recently moved a large vault from my system explorer to Google Drive. The vault has many .png images (about 2 gb)
  • I was encountering serious problems (not loading images, persistently lagging and ending up freezing).
  • I copied my folder back to my hard-drive and the system explorer gave me alert - I was unable to copy a .gdoc to my system explorer.
  • I deleted the .gdoc file and the vault started working normally without the above problems.
  • problem resolved

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10
  • Obsidian version: 0.12.19

Additional information

I am not sure if my causation association is 100% accurate, because the timeline of this experience was over a number of weeks because I wasn’t using the vault. But the fix after deleting .gdocs file was immediate.

This is a problem with Gdrive. Make sure gdrive is configured to keep your files on your computer not just link to your files (if possible).

1 Like

OK that makes sense - all my files are stored on my computer, except for the offending .gdoc file. Thanks!