Expected result

Opening the PDF to view/extract Highlights with PDF-Extract highlights

Actual result

Freezing of Obsidian

Environment

• Operating system: Arch Linux
  • Obsidian version: 0.11.13

Additional information

With non annotated PDFs everything seems to work. But opening the annotated PDFs with another PDF-Viewer works properly, so there is some issue with Obsidian.

1 Like

Can confirm when opening/uploading PDFs without annotations, Obsidian works as normal, but when opening/uploading annotated PDFs, the application freezes, requiring restart.

Does it open fine with chrome?

What installer version are you using?
If you are using an old installer version, download and reinstall obsidian from the website.

Yes, it opens properly in Chrome. Im using Installer v.0.11.13, so that should be the actual version.

If this problem persists after we upgrade to electron 12, we’ll look into it.

Thanks for the answer! Is there any rough timeline when Obsidian will upgrade to Electron 12?

when this is fixed: https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/28684

Can you post a link to a pdf where you expirience the problem?

I encountered something: If im linking to an annotated pdf which is located inside the vault ( which caused obsidian to freeze) inside a note and go to preview mode and hover over it.
It will load properly. So only opening that PDF in an single Window seems broken.

This behaviour seems to only appears on Linux. But this problem occurs ALSO with non-annotated documents.

So basically PDF-View on Linux seems broken, whereas on Windows it works properly till now.

I can’t repro it. I am starting to think this is your computer’s problem.

1. Reinstall obsidian from the snap
  2. Post a screen recording of this bug happening in a clean help vault

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.