Forward emails from macOS Mail to Obsidian

What I’m trying to do

I’m new to Obsidian. I want to replace Bear as my text receptacle. One thing that I will use Obsidian for is project preparation (I’m a tech journalist). Ideally, I’d like to be able to forward the occasional email from clients to Obsidian, to have pertinent emails in folders with other info for projects. I’ve searched the forum, and looked for macOS Shortcuts, but can’t find anything. Is this not possible?

As far as I’m aware (please correct me if I am wrong) there isn’t a way to forward emails to Obsidian on any platform.

There is an email block plugin: GitHub - joleaf/obsidian-email-block-plugin: An email block for obsidian notes. Which you can use to copy and paste emails to Obsidian but there is nothing as smooth as emailing to Obsidian, again, as far as I’m aware.

I think this is something you need to do on the email program side of the equation. That is make your email program somehow trigger a rule on reception of those emails to save it into a predefined folder within your vault. Then Obsidian will be able to see that files are present, and will include them into the vault the next time you’ll open your vault. (Update: See something like Automatically Save emails to a folder using Mail.app, AppleScript, and Bash. · GitHub )

If you in addition make a query within Obsidian to scan this folder and list any new stuff, you might have something which could work. (Such a query would then require that you flag the “email”-note somehow, so you wont get multiple warnings on the same email.

1 Like

Not a solution per se, but I send my emails to a task manager or reader app, depending on the content and what needs to be done with it. Both of these sync w/ Obsidian, and I can move them to relevant locations in the vault. It works well for me in that the email content is processed and/or summarized in another app before it comes into Obsidian and my notes have (somewhat) less clutter. But I get that people prefer different workflows.

The apps I use to do this are Things w/ Things Logbook plug-in and Matter with Matter plug-in.

PWF

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.