Forced high contrast theme in Obsidian

I’m using the default theme, Obsidian keeps adapting to my system’s high contrast theme even when I have dark theme selected. I’m using a windows high contrast theme and it keeps changing the theme to that.
I’m using windows 8.1.

I tried restarting, selecting and de-selecting between themes and restarting again, switching back n forth between windows themes (high contrast and non high contrast) and restarting but nothing works.
Dark theme is only truly enabled when I switch to a non high contrast windows theme.

I don’t have any custom plugins enabled .

I suggest you look into electron command option if there is a way to disable that.

how do i do that?

CSS enables us to toggle the effects of high contrast mode element by element. An asterisk * is the low-specificity wildcard. Try placing the following in a CSS snippet, be sure it’s toggled on, and tell us how you make out:

* {
    forced-color-adjust: none;
  } 

Cheers…Jerome

Thank you but it did not work.

Here is the debug info

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v0.15.9
Installer version: v0.15.9
Operating system: Windows 8.1 6.3.9600
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 1
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.

I thought that it may be something to do with my custom high contrast theme but that was not the case. No matter what high contrast theme I apply obsidian keeps overriding the dark theme. Only after I completely turn it off does it use the default dark theme.

I’m guessing this behavior is tied to Windows 8.1. The forced-color-adjust property goes back only to 2020, so likely 8.1’s high contrast mode doesn’t set that flag.

Styling for Windows high contrast with new standards for forced colors - Microsoft Edge Blog

Cheers…Jerome

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.