Footnote Shortcut

Still doesn’t work for me on desktop :frowning:

HI Akaalias - I installed this and my hotkey does insert the [^1] as expected but nothing happens. No footnote appears at the bottom of the page, no link to it, and toggling the hotkey just adds another empty [^2]

Here is the edit mode example;

and here is the preview mode of that

Live Preview is the issue. When I turned off live preview, i.e. selected Options > Editor > Use legacy editor, footnotes functionality worked as it had previously.

Yeah, but I think that’s not how it’s supposed to work. I think it just needs an update. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

@jordanjones thanks for that. that is the problem. However, I agree with @sanhuesoft it seems the plugin needs an update from @akaalias - the Live Preview is so helpful, especially when the majority of the time is working in edit mode. It’s a shame we have to choose between using such a super helpful add-on for footnotes or working with live preview

• I tried it again today and the footnotes still only works in legacy editor.

I used the hotkey to insert the footnote and it does add the [^3] in EDIT mode

, but still, nothing happens, no footnote is created

and when I look at it in preview mode all the page shows is the number 3 in regular type.

Number 3 should not appear if you allow the footnote to have extra space after that. By the way, the issue about footnote not appearing below when you use hotkey is now fix in the current version (Obisidian v0.13.21) and Footnote Shortcut (0.07)

1 Like

Can someone explain this to me? I can’t get it to work. What are the little symbols between the words/lines?

I agree. It would be great if @akaalias had the time and inclination to update the Footnotes plugin so that it works with live preview. Since I’m currently in the process of creating dozens of footnotes for my research, I’m working in the legacy editor, but it would be great to have both the footnotes shortcut and live preview working side by side.

1 Like

I had removed this plugin in the recent past because it wasn’t working in Live Preview for me either, and finally decided to take the time to see if I could fix it to suit my needs. Turns out after reinstalling, things are working - and I don’t need to learn typescript!

1 Like

In my system it’s working again without reinstall. I use Obsidian 0.13.23

For some reason I can’t create an Issue on your repository in Github, so I’ll say it here: In Obsidan for iPad (1.1.0), when I create a footnote, the insertion point doesn’t jump to after the footnote, it jumps to the beginning of the current paragraph.

For goodness sake – this is the ONLY thing that works! Thank you. :ok_hand:
Somebody please fix the stupid instructions in the so-called HELP vault. Nothing in those instructions work at all. What a waste of time today.

1 Like

If I’m understanding correctly, the Obsidian Footnotes Plugin is for “regular” footnotes, i.e., the kind that look like this: [^1]. But what about “inline footnotes”, i.e., the kind that look like this: ^[text]. Is there a plugin/hotkey for inline footnotes?

Like the Typora styles

1 Like

I am a maintainer for MichaBrugger’s Obsidian Footnotes plugin, an active fork of this plugin.
I believe most of the issues mentioned in this thread have been fixed in my plugin.

3 Likes

CompJ, it doesn’t seem to work for inline footnotes, does it?

@doubt I considered implementing an inline footnote shortcut, but decided that it wouldn’t actually save any key presses.

Right now, to make and fill out an inline footnote you type: ^ + [ + footnote + ].
Out of that, 3 key presses ^ [ ] are for the footnote.

If I make an inline footnote shortcut, you would type: Shortcut Key 1 + Shortcut Key 2 + footnote + .
The shortcut would make ^[], and place your cursor between the brackets like so: ^[|].
The shortcut would be at least 2 key presses (for example Ctrl + ^), and you will need to use to move your cursor past ] to the end of the footnote after you’re finished typing, resulting in a minimum sum of 3 key presses. If you use a 3 key shortcut or more, the keypress number could be even worse.

As a result, there is no numerical benefit to an inline footnote shortcut.

I am doing this with a super simple, one line template that I bound to a hotkey using Templater:

^[<% tp.file.cursor(1) %>]

2 Likes

Klaas, did you ever find a smart way to transfer regular (numbered footnotes) in inline footnotes (and/or vice versa?).

I am having exactly the refactoring issue you are describing above and I am currently going through my notes by hand and transforming the numbered footnoes to inline one if needed, which is very cumbersome.

This worked like a charm. Just needed to make sure the cursor function was enabled.