- Download Noto Color Emoji from Google Fonts
- Install on system (right-click, “Install” on Windows)
- Open Obsidian (even under sandbox mode)
- Enter in emoji, such as or those that use zero-width joiners (ZWJ) like 🏳⚧
- Select font under appearance (works on all, demonstrated with Text font)
- Save and close settings modal
- Observe that all emoji have disappeared
Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]
Emoji should render, and preferably better (via standard ZWJ combos supported by the font, as on Obsidian for Android, etc) than the default on Windows (which is falling back to Segoe UI for text font and likely the Segoe UI Emoji as well, given it’s rendering Microsoft’s Windows 10 April 2018 version of the smile emoji).
No emoji render at all, so no fall-back is occurring, so some part of Obsidian is getting caught on the emoji and seemingly picking nothing as the correct glyphs to render here (not even tofu, so Noto still holds, ironically).
SYSTEM INFO: Obsidian version: v1.4.13 Installer version: v1.4.5 Operating system: Windows 10 Home 10.0.19045 Login status: logged in Catalyst license: insider Insider build toggle: off Live preview: on Legacy editor: off Base theme: dark Community theme: none Snippets enabled: 0 Restricted mode: on RECOMMENDATIONS: none
Below are the above steps (from 4 onwards) recreated in the Sandbox Vault: