Folgezettel: Best Practice?

Hey everyone,
how have you people implemented Folgezettel into Obsidian? Whats your workflow?

I do this in three ways:

1. Note title
    For notes about a common subject, I start the note title with that subject, so similar notes will live next to each other in the file list.

Eg: “Notes should have clear titles”; “Notes should contain one atomic, thought”; “Notes should link to other notes whenever possible”

1. Internal Links
    When writing a note, I try to identify related concepts and link to those other notes.

Eg: in the note, “Notes should link to other notes whenever possible”, I might mention that “links should reference discrete thoughts, and this is possible because [[Notes should contain one, atomic thought]]”.

1. Folders
    For notes about an area of focus with multiple topics, then I’ll create a new folder and move related notes there. Kind of like a separate, working slipbox/commonplace book as I wrangle with a subject.

In a couple cases, I’ve “finished” my wrangling and moved the notes back to may main folder and deleted the folders.

In a couple of others, I’ve been wrangling of and on for about a year and still have them in the folder.

Bonus, because of Obsidian’s search and linking, the separated notes aren’t really separated from everything else.

3 Likes

A way to implement Folgezettel in Obsidian is through the Breadcrumbs plugin. In the newest release there is a new option to organize notes according to a “before”/“after” categorization. Upshot: you’ll never be able to see the whole lineage of your notes but only what comes before and after with respect to the note you are in.

2 Likes

Similar, it different, t( Map of Content plugin shows a tree view of notes related to the note you’re on. Like the graph view, but maybe easier to see/use.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.