So I’m one of those who use the good 'ol folder system. However I do have quite a lot of folders (and folder levels) and sometimes would like to see just one main folder and its subfolders in the sidepane.
If it’s possible, I’d love a plugin where you can “zoom into” a specific folder. I think it can be done based on how the Longform plugin works(?). I don’t really know anything about coding but here’s the rundown of the idea:
So in Longform you can mark a specific folder as a Longform Project. You can then view this marked folder in Longform’s pane. In that pane you can choose to focus on a specific project folder, then a draft folder.
Project Folders Marked as Longform Project in Default File Explorer
(Hierarchy is Project Folder > Drafts Folder > Scene Files)
Project Folders in Longform Pane:
Here I can choose which project folder, then draft folder to focus on. Then only the scene files in that directory will be shown below.
For the folder zoom plugin, some Ideas I have are:
- Auto-support for all folders in the vault. In longform you have to mark a folder as a project first.
- Support more levels of folders for drop-down options. So longform has three folder levels (Projects > Drafts > Drafts 1), and only displays two of those levels in the pane (Projects > Drafts 1). I usually have more folders levels than these lol.
Quick mockup of what I’m thinking of
- Reduces the friction of having to expand/collapse multiple levels of folders in the file explorer, and having to scroll down to view files in the bottom folders
- This may be an alternative to nested vaults which has been discouraged
- Generally just help in having a cleaner and focused workspace as seeing other unneeded folders is distracting
I hope I explained this idea well. This has been something I’ve thought of for a while now and decided to drop here in case anyone wants to do it (maybe for O_O?). This has also been inspired by a short discord convo