+1 for this feature request.
Would love to see this implemented.

1 Like

I would also find this very helpful

1 Like

+1 This would be very helpful!

I also would love this. It’s one of the few bottlenecks in my obsidian workflow

1 Like

Me too. This would be a really essential feature if some clever person can programme a plug in to do it.

+1 for this. it is very necessary and lack of it is troublesome for me.
Also IMO the same can be applied to “outline” core plugin (pane). that plugin can’t even remember the folding and resets every time I close a note.

1 Like

I miss that feature very much.
Fluid navigating through information in longer notes is extremely important - otherwise it’s just 1 huge wall of text restricted by the size of font and monitor.
Folding is one of the important features that actually made me switch to obsidian but I’m hoping it can be improved as it is a bit cumbersome at the moment.

3 Likes

+1 This feature would be a gamechanger!

+1 for this feature.

I am also interested in this.

In the meantime, I discovered the “Creases” plugin. It does a bunch of nifty things (and I’m still discovering most of them!) and it also includes hotkeys for folding/unfolding heading levels incrementally.

3 Likes

Thank you for posting that. I was about to suggest this myself after using the move up / move down commands and finding out they don’t work as expected. (I expected the folded heading to move up and down with its contents.) Nope. It rips the context apart.

An org-mode behaviour would be most desirable. I set my Vim up the same way for folded Markdown and org-mode (I just use it for Notes in Vim and load those into the big Emacs file).

2 Likes

the up and down not moving the content of heading is very annoying, it works with cut and past tho, but it is not smooth.

1 Like

+1 here also. Frustrating that the fold cmd basically collapses everything. It’s essentially ‘all or nothing’ at present so not very useful. Hopefully it can be on the roadmap?
Thanks!

As @json noted, you can already do that with the Creases plugin, so I don’t know that sherlocking that capability needs to be a priority.

I was under the impression that “sherlocking” referred to the apple’s practice of pulling the business model out from underneath a developer by integrating it into the OS. Obsidian plugin developers don’t collect revenue on the product, we develop because it’s enjoyable and we like to contribute.

There are of course, excellent reasons to incorporate popular community features (read: length of this thread) into the default Obsidian experience. Most especially:

• feature discoverability - “feature X is in a community plugin” is better than not existing, but still harder to find than in the default experience
  • maintainability - no software is permanent, Obsidian taking over maintaining features is rewarding for community validation

my two cents

That’s the origin of the term. In this case it is used in a more general sense.

2 Likes

Adding a plug-in to core is not zero cost and I trust the Obsidian devs to make good decisions here.
Just because I really extra like a specific plug-in or a thread about it exceeds 36 posts is a pretty poor reason to have it in core. And for folding? How many obsidian users fold headings or even know they can?
There’s a plug-in for what you need. You at least have discovered it.

I second @CawlinTeffid’s reply. “Sherlocking” is used that way pretty frequently on the Discord and in the Roundup.

I agree. Creases was built by Liam, one of the core devs, and is already available and works seamlessly. I’d rather the devs focus their limited time and energy on things that either haven’t or can’t easily be implemented except in the core app.

1 Like

I agree that this doesn’t need to be a priority because there is a plugin, but I do think the core folding feature should expand eventually. The current version feels undercooked.

Rather than Creases’ individual commands for each heading level, I think Fold/unfold current section and Fold/unfold all sections of current level would be fine, at least for me.

However big or small the number of folding users, it should be higher because folding is so great! :smiley: I don’t even use Outline anymore because folding took its place (also Outline’s folding behavior was annoying).

[Fires up “Fold away your troubles” PR campaign.]

2 Likes