Floating Indicators for Drag'n'Drop Local File Links

The cursor information is missing or misleading for creating drag and drop links from the OS file system to Obsidian.

Steps to reproduce

1. Have your obsidian vault and windows explorer directory open.
  2. Drag a PDF file from the explorer to your vault. Don’t release it yet. Observe the floating cursor information that says “Copy”. Releasing it on your vault page creates a copy of the file in your vault and an obsidian link to the PDF.
  3. Ctrl-Drag a PDF file from explorer to your vault. Don’t release it yet. Observe the floating cursor information that says “Copy”. Releasing it on your vault page DOES NOT COPY the file to your vault. It creates a URI link to the file in your OS file system.

Expected result

Older versions of Obsidian correctly indicated the difference by showing “Link” (or something like that) in the floating cursor information box.

We want the heads-up cursor information to accurately reflect the action that will happen with different modifier keys.

Actual result

There’s no indicator differentiation between actions: Copy file to vault; and Link to original file location.

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v1.1.9
    Installer version: v1.1.9
    Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.18362
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: insider
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Restricted mode: on

Are you sure this used to work?

I rely on it to figure out which button does which. Especially since hotkeys have “evolved” along the way. I couldn’t tell you which version it worked in but I’m fairly confident in this memory.

I suppose that knowing which version it changed could help, but wouldn’t there simply be a place in the code where this pop-up text is coming from, that needs a correction?