Create a new note with the following content:

---
## first title

aaa

---
## second title

bbb

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes, the issue is reproducible in the sandboxed vault.

Expected result

The Outline should contain the following titles:

• first title
  • second title

Actual result

The Outline is missing the first title, its contents are:

• second title

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.8
Installer version: v1.5.3
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 22.5.0: Thu Jun 8 22:22:19 PDT 2023; root:xnu-8796.121.3~7/RELEASE_ARM64_T8103 22.5.0
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Base theme: dark
Community theme: darkplus v0.0.1
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

Additional information

Note: I experimented further, and I found that the issue only happens if there are more than one headings in the document. In case there is only one heading, it is displayed, and the first heading only disappears once a second heading is added.

thanks, we reproduced

When you use that somewhat strange format for headings you end up with creating an invalid frontmatter which is why the first title disappears.

As a workaround you could therefore increase the number of dashes to avoid it being recognised as the triple dashes being used as a code fence around the frontmatter.

I see, that makes sense. From now on I will start using 5 dashes as a solution.

Thank you for your quick response!

I propose that this ticket can be closed, if it hasn’t been already.

I believe the ticket could stay alive possibly, since it’s a situation which can occur by someone not thinking about frontmatter at all, and it can be indeed be argued that it’s a bug that Obsidian considers this as frontmatter in the first place.

I just wanted to present to you with a workaround so that you wouldn’t be hindered by this in your note taking.

1 Like

This was fixed/can’t repro in 1.5.11.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.