Filtering Everywhere!

Agreed - this is an essential feature, in as many place as possible.

1 Like

I have been using todoist for 8 months now and I have recently discovered how useful is the Filtering section as it gives you the situational power, the ability to find the content that you need → it saves you a lot of time.
In my opinion a new page for filters on the sidebar is crucial

4 Likes

I would like to see filtering everywhere too! Particularly filtering backlinks.

2 Likes

Simply link in a closely related request just came in.

Option that shows all the highlights in a page

1 Like

+1 for filtering in the backlinks pane.

2 Likes

Simply link in another closely related request just came in. Made by @robertsmith .

Magic, "One Click," Dynalist search results—Yes!

1 Like

Yes, filtering and sorting of backlinks would be great. I’d like to use obsidian for task management, but without filtering and sorting of backlinks, this is difficult. In particular, it would be useful to be able to sort backlinks by date.

2 Likes

I was about to post a request for filtering in the explorer and remembered this great topic. Just wanted to double down my support for this.

When I picture the explorer being filtered, I imagine some cases where keeping folders around would be nice and others where flattening might be best. Tagged folders may provide an opportunity to get a hybrid of both.

Thanks.

1 Like

file search / filtering is one thing, but what is more useful is content retrieval dynamically based on the query inline - how roam works.

5 Likes

I think not being able to filter within a page is one of the biggest deal breakers in Obsidian. Don’t get me wrong, I love Obsidian and the work the devs are doing. Being able to filter blocks in a page based on a tag/link would be really helpful in removing structures from your brain. You can write bullet points one after another and just filter based on tags instead of having to fit items into headers.

4 Likes

Totally agree and I think this is one of the two most important features Obsidian should have.

This is the reason why Roam, Workflowy and Dynalist are more easy to write down and organize ideas. Becase firstly, there is no other interference such as giving a filename to bother you, and secondly, I have confidence to write my ideas everywhere since I know that I can retrive them easily by filters.

Another important feature is ofcourse WYSIWYM. WYSIWYM doesn’t just means clutter free. The two key point of WYSIWYM is render Image and Block (including Latex etc.) in Edit mode because I want to see what I have written when I am writing. Clutter free is not a must have but it’s better for nothing. For example, changing from " # Head" to “Head” doesn’t make a big difference, but changing from “![[2020-12-18#^807090]]” to a real text will be a great improvement.

4 Likes

Related feature request: Unified files and search view

Second this!

@goodsignal Filtering in “search” and in “graph” can be already done for example by enclosing original search string in parentheses and adding boolean. Or am I missing something?
(original search string) AND (filter string)
Implemented options could get strike-through in OP to redirect focus to missing options.

I think, when I say filtering I mean an ability to do “Page level filtering” i.e. being able to filter out some blocks from a page so that you can focus on the other (just like in Roam)

1 Like

Agree that this is crucial and at this point the very last thing from Roam that I miss. Looks like v. 0.10.07 will bring us closer to this: “You can now Ctrl/Cmd click tags in the tag pane to toggle them as a search filter, instead of replacing the search query.”

3 Likes

Adding my +1 to this please. Filtering in preview mode by tag is important (like how roam has it).

3 Likes

Yes to this. The thing I’m really missing after migrating.

1 Like

Totally agree: being able to do conditional filtering on displayed page content based on tags (…or styles) would give a HUGE productivity and usability boost to Obsedian !

I didn’t see any concretisation of the idea yet: but would it be so difficult to add a toggle-switch to the existing tag-pane that decides if the current selection of tags in this pane is applied to the File Explorer (aka: all notes, as is the case right now) or, alternatively, to the active Notes pane, only showing blocks (not notes) in this single Note that contain the selected combination of tags ?

1 Like

This would allow a huge new variety of workflows and add great usability to Obsidian as mentioned before. I’d love if it could be used to filter the backlinks section further.

2 Likes