File system write error, workspace layout reset, current file truncated to zero size

Steps to reproduce

Unfortunately, this was a singular occurrence so far. No repro steps available.

I was editing a file when I got an error message saying something like, writing to the file system is not possible. (I do not remember the exact wording.)

I chose to reload the workspace, and as a result, all open panes were closed and the custom workspace layout was gone. Restarting Obsidian completely did not help.

I then restored the workspace file from my Time Machine backup and started Obsidian. The layout was back but the document I edited last had zero bytes. Obsidian’s recovery feature helped restoring the contents.

Expected result

No file system write errors.

Actual result

File system write error, workspace file reset, currently edited file truncated to zero bytes.

Environment

• Operating system: macOS 11.5.2
  • Obsidian version: 0.12.12

I am aware that this info does not help much with tracking down a bug in Obsidian or a plugin, so my question would be, how to collect more info next time?

Additional information

We are aware that there is an issue between macos and node.js fs api. Sometimes, it can get stuck. The error you saw is us trying to catch that situation and warn you.
There’s not much we can do about it, other than point you to File Recovery plugin (and or whatever else you use) to recover your files.

Thank you @WhiteNoise for the quick reply. Glad to hear that the issue is known. Yes, file recovery is an option here and it worked well for me! :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.