File explorer disappears when creating new note from template

We strongly recommend you to search the forum with possible keywords before submitting a new bug report. Please also try your repro steps with third-party plugins and custom CSS disabled and see if it’s still reproducible. If it’s an issue with third-party plugins or themes, try contacting the author for help. Once you’ve done the above, delete this line.

Steps to reproduce

In obsidian 0.15.6, mouse on the a folder, right click, and select “create new note from template”.

Expected result

A new note created and opened in the window, and file explorer would not disappear.

Actual result

A new note will be created and opened. Note that file explorer icon disappeared, note icon replacing it, which seems a bug.

Environment

• Operating system: arch linux
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v0.15.6
    Installer version: v0.15.6
    Operating system: #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri, 15 Jul 2022 15:33:02 +0000 5.18.12-arch1-1
    Login status: not logged in
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: adapt to system
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Safe mode: off
    Plugins installed: 21
    Plugins enabled: 16
    1: Advanced Tables
    2: Outliner
    3: Zoom
    4: Calendar
    5: Periodic Notes
    6: Templater
    7: Obsidian TODO | Text-based GTD
    8: Kanban
    9: Reminder
    10: Tasks
    11: Image Caption
    12: Local images
    13: Dataview
    14: Emoji Toolbar
    15: Excalidraw
    16: Highlightr

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Additional information

1 Like

I am not sure I understand your problem. Update obsidian and post a screen recording of this happening in the sandbox vault.

I can reproduce this issue as MWE:

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v0.15.8
	Installer version: v0.14.15
	Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.18363
	Login status: not logged in
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Restricted mode: off
	Plugins installed: 1
	Plugins enabled: 1
		1: Templater v1.12.0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

There’s a gif of the issue here: https://i.imgur.com/baeLKPP.gif

I’ve also included the only way I’ve found to fix it for anyone else wondering, I had to click “show file in navigation” and the menu reappeared

If the problem is with the Templater plugin, you need to contact the author of that plugin.

yeah I think it’s with that plugin, I don’t use it, was just trying to replicate OPs issue

@WhiteNoise @jdb_jdb It seems a bug with Templater plugin. I just reported it to the plugin author, referencing to @jdb_jdb’s gif.
Thanks for your replies.

Good news is that the authors are fixing it. New note replaces File Explorer panel when using Create new note from template · Issue #691 · SilentVoid13/Templater · GitHub