File Explorer Custom Sort

That’s exactly it, a workaround, no more. :wink: We’re using Obsidian to get rid of previous workarounds with lesser apps.

1 Like

Well, yes, I am well aware and I am even agreeing with this request. Just saying this to help in the meantime. I am surprised by your tone.

1 Like

Thank you for your Ulysses suggestion, and apologies if my tone upset you. I guess I’ll try to remain less informal on these threads.

2 Likes

No worries at all! Sometimes our intentions do not show well in our posts, it’s no biggie. Thanks for saying so, and happy writing to you :+1:

(And I would love to be able to do everything in Obsidian too!)

3 Likes

+1 this would make the organisation of my publish site much better if I could do away with the number system

4 Likes

yes.

right now I sort them using the numbers 000, 001.

Having the option to arrange them manually will make my folders names smaller.

3 Likes

Me too, but I find it distracting and clumsy. In basic outliner apps rearranging it’s a breeze.

2 Likes

But that is because they use a database rather than separate files.

1 Like

Any chance of this feature materializing? Many of us bump into its absence on a daily basis.
Or is it a better candidate for a plugin?
Thx.

3 Likes

Definitely +1 ~ This is an extremely important feature for published notes

Very much hoping to see an update on the feasibility of implementing manual reordering sooner rather than later . . . .

4 Likes

This is seriously still not implemented?

:man_facepalming:

3 Likes

You don’t have to use a database to store those details. Imagine each folder/note/file having a small file which denotes the current details; example below. This method has been used by many apps. The only downfall is startup time. That being said, I am not currently having an issue with the lack of custom sorting. I use Notes to list out the items in a custom/filtered order with internal links to the actual Note.

<node>
<version>6</version>
<dict>
  <key>expanded</key><true/>
  <key>title</key><string>Games</string>
  <key>nodeid</key><string>40e1e79d-e47c-43a7-8a23-358f481a5f67</string>
  <key>modified_time</key><integer>1444501376</integer>
  <key>version</key><integer>6</integer>
  <key>content_type</key><string>application/x-notebook-dir</string>
  <key>created_time</key><integer>1444501376</integer>
  <key>info_sort_dir</key><integer>1</integer>
  <key>order</key><integer>6</integer>
  <key>info_sort</key><string>order</string>
</dict>
</node>

ce

2 Likes

This request has been discussed also in: [Advice] The ability to have a note hierarchy

2 Likes

The plugin would have to catch Note Creation and Note Reorder events. It would also need to run on app start to setup the tree. I think this workflow belongs in the main app if it is implemented. I am not saying it’s not possible as a plugin, but the plugin would manage a large portion of the tree interface. Imagine the app starts and tree is built. A plugin would have to rebuild the tree. I don’t think the tree is intended for that purpose. It is meant as a way for the user to see what’s available. Not as a way to manage/present data; use Notes. I believe the tree is intended to behave like Windows Explorer.

ce

1 Like

One month later, still holding out and hoping.
Won’t go back to OneNote though, the Win 10 version is abhorrent and 2016 simply lacks what Obsidian has.
But damn, I miss this feature, because it allows me to group similar ideas together visually.

2 Likes

Another vote for this feature. Just migrated from Notion to Obsdian and this is one the main things I miss.

3 Likes

Just want to mention that a couple of author friends of mine have indicated that they view this as a critical feature for switching from Scrivener.

18 Likes

+1 for custom sort orders, my use cases are

• custom sort for preparing and rearranging chapters of a book
  • enabling alphabetical sort that includes folders for Luhmann-Style reference trees

111 note
112 topic (folder)
-112b subtopic (note)
113 topic (folder)
-113b note

3 Likes
  • 1 from me as well, would be great to have a custom ordering and pinning.
1 Like

+1! Really hoping for this feature to be implemented.

1 Like