[Feature] Use system’s light/dark mode on Android

Platform

[ ] iOS
[x] Android

Obsidian Mobile version: v1.0.3

I’d like to use the system’s light/dark mode to set pick light/dark theme. There’s a plugin that solves this on Windows for me and apparently on iOS, but it doesn’t work on Android.

More importantly it seems to me that a plugin couldn’t possibly solve this, as my Android 11 device lists Obsidian among the apps that don’t support system dark mode, so I’d imagine it doesn’t provide this information to plugins as well.

4 Likes

Seconding this. All my Android apps follow the system light/dark mode, it’s nice.

1 Like

I don’t think this works for iOS either. At least I haven’t figured out how to get it to work.

My link in the main post says that the System Dark Mode plugin works for them.
If not, that thread should be reopened too, this thread is for Android.

A workaround would be to have time settings in the plugin. E.g. I could choose dark mode from 7pm to 7am. That would be perfectly fine.

I’d really love to have this working in Android, @kepano :pray:.

FWIW it also doesn’t work on Windows for me. So having an explicit time seeing would help there as well.

There’s Luna, a fork of kepano’s System Dark Mode that has this and also a switching at sunset feature.

1 Like

Platform

[x] Android

The app currently doesn’t set the Base theme to Light/Dark following the global Dark theme option in Android.
Even Windows 10 has similar global theme functionality it would be nice if the app adds the option to “Follow System”, preserving the current way to set it manually as well.

2 Likes

You could take a look at the “system dark mode” plugin.

Thanks. Umm… Installed & Enabled it but it doesn’t work.:frowning: May be it doesn’t work in Android.

1 Like

Perhaps it only works on desktop. Sorry that it didn’t help. :confused:

Thanks anyway. So now does it count for a (Built-in) feature request? :sweat_smile:

Sure! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Hi, After recent update to Obsidian [Android] this feature was added titled “Adapt to system”. However, doesn’t switch themes as per device’s Dark mode/Battery saver.

Edit: ^And sticks to being in Dark mode no matter what mode the actual device be in.

1 Like

will be fixed in Obsidian Mobile v1.3

4 Likes

Thank you in advance :pray:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.