[Feature] Siri compatibility to create a new note

Platform

iOS
Android

Obsidian Mobile version: v1.3.0

Siri compatibility: Would love to be able to say “Siri make an Obsidian Note that…[note text here]” - this way I can make a note hands-free (e.g while driving or working where my hands are already occupied).

For reference, you can currently tell Siri:
“Hey Siri, make a note” (then she’ll ask you what do you want your note to say, then she’ll write what you say in a new note in the iOS notes app)
“Hey Siri, note that blah blah blah blah blah” (then she’ll create a new note in the iOS app that has the following written: blah blah blah blah blah)

A related thread is here “Taking notes using voice/ Siri while running”, but it wasn’t marked as a feature request, so I created this thread.

2 Likes

In the meantime you could use an Obsidian URI in a shortcut (all you need is a single “Open URLs” action), which will respond to Siri.

1 Like

Thank you for such a quick reply! I just tested it out, and I don’t think the shortcut workaround solves the problem (feel free to correct me if I’m wrong).

I was able to create a shortcut like this:
If: User says Hey Siri, Create Obsidian Note
Then: Open Chrome and go to obsidian://new
As a result, the Obsidian app opens up and successfully creates a new note!

However, there does not appear to be a way to have the phone ask for the user to continue to say something else into the phone, transcribe those words, and then type it into the body field of the note.

If there is a way to achieve the above, then I think this workaround would be just fine.

Here’s a blog entry about such a Shortcut, including a link to the Shortcut: A Shortcut for getting notes into Obsidian on iOS | Tools 4 Thought

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t read your request closely enough, so I didn’t notice you wanted to use the shortcut to create the text.

You don’t need the “If” action for Siri. You can run any shortcut by saying, “Hey, Siri, [Name of shortcut]”.

I don’t remember all the details of how you’d do this (see Shortcuts documentation, Obsidian URI documentation, and/or the article @psychotronic linked), but here’s the general approach (omitting actions like creation of variables).

1. Ask for input. I believe the same action handles typing or dictation, depending on whether you used Siri.

2. URL encode the text. Shortcuts has an action for that.

3. Add the encoded text to the Obsidian URL in the appropriate parameter (see documentation)

4. Open the URL.

I just set this up, took some fiddling but now it’s working well. Here’s the shortcut:

1 Like

(UPDATE 11/14/2023):
Adding this here since the topic is closed and no new replies are allowed. Unfortunately, this shortcut has not worked well for me. Every time I use it, the phone needs to unlock, which is not great for quick note taking. Additionally, at least 50% of the time, the note does not get successfully created even when I unlock the phone. Unclear why.
The only clear path I see is that there needs to be a proper Siri integration.
For now, the fastest way for me to create notes on the fly is as follows:

1. I put Obsidian on my home screen. (or maybe I’ll use the iPhone 15 Pro quick action button to open the app automatically).
  2. I set the mobile “swipe down” shortcut to instantly create a new note
  3. I use my phone’s voice dictation to speak my note. I have to say, the new dictation on iOS 17 is way better, where I can just keep talking and talking, pause to think, and keep talking, and the dictation will keep transcribing without cutting me off. So that works pretty well.

However, I wish there was a clean way to tell Siri to jot down quick notes either on my phone or via apple watch, for when I don’t have easy access to looking at my phone.
Until then, I still have to relatively frequently use my apple watch to “create a reminder” which has the note text, and then later transfer that manually to Obsidian.

For anyone that comes by, feel free to create a new feature request regarding Siri and I’ll be happy to support it with a heart!

(Original message:)
Woohoo thank you!!! It works great!! Wow this is awesome, finally what I always needed!

I named the name of the shortcut to be “Write in Obsidian” so that I can say “Siri, Write in Obsidian” and it immediately asks “What’s the text?”, after which it instantly creates a new note in Obsidian with the text I said!

I’ll probably be binding this shortcut to the new iPhone 15 Pro action button as well to see how it goes.

In the process of setting this up, I found this URL for anyone that wants more info on other parameters that can be configured:

Here is how I set it up for my vault called “Comedy Notes” (same as what you did)

Result if I say “Siri, Write In Obsidian”

“Hello this is a test note from Siri”

Thanks again!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.