[Feature] Recorder audio quality

Platform

[X] iOS
[ ] Android

Obsidian Mobile version: v1.0.3

Audio output on the mobile recorder could be improved.

It sounds like there are some volume fluctuations, a sort of muffled quality, & weird compression going on.

As an example, I recorded the same thing twice, one with the iOS Voice Memos app, and one with Obsidian to compare:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YVg79uqUSflSLvfFD74wuyzphXML3xr-?usp=sharing

On my iPhone speaker, it’s not that different when I play the two back; on desktop, the difference is apparent.

Summarizing from discord conversation.

Compared to iOS Voice Memos (right), the Obsidian output (left) has a much narrower audio spectrum:

That may be because the mobile Safari MediaRecorder API only supports the audio/mp4 mimeType. So using the fancy AudioContext / compression API could only do very limited improvements on the low-fidelity output from the MediaRecorder.

Pretty much the only fix is a native plugin or working with the raw PCM using JS libraries which is a big development effort and I get the vibe it’s not worth the cost.

But, thank you to Obsidian team for looking into it

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.