[Feature] Android Features - Shortcuts & Widgets

Platform

[ ] iOS
[x ] Android

Obsidian Mobile version: v0.1.1

Hey, all!

Three feature requests here to let me break it down:

1. It would be great to be able to take a note and have a shortcut to that note on my Homescreen (say, to my Inbox note so I can quickly get back to it to add something else).

2. It would be really nice to be able to create a new note via a shortcut icon on my homescreen that creates a new note, in a specified folder and using a specified template

3. It would be great to be able to have a widget on my homescreen that is a note (like my “Inbox” example above) where I could write to the note directly from the home screen without having to open the app each time.

25 Likes

This is the one feature (mainly point 1 in the post above) that’s still keeping me using Markor to access my notes on my Android phone, instead of being able to use just Obsidian.

I have a total of over 30 shortcuts to notes on my home screen (most of them in folders/groups, but they still occupy about half of my home screen). I rarely access a note in any other way except through those shortcuts.

If Obsidian had support for shortcuts, I could probably cut down on the number of shortcuts, since I could have a shortcut to a MoC (Map of Content) note, which would have links to other notes (the links don’t always work in Markor).

If I’m accessing notes on my phone, I usually just want to write down some quick idea, or check some note. I’ll spend maybe 5-20 seconds inside the note. Being able to access the correct note with just 1-2 taps from the home screen would remove a lot of friction when doing that.

4 Likes

I just wrote a quick guide that might help you: How to add a note shortcut to the homescreen on Android.

4 Likes

Honestly even if it’s just a note display, and clicking on it opens that note in the app would be really wonderful. I love obsidian but i kind of begrudgingly switched to it from Simple Notes and Google Keep due to this one lacking feature

3 Likes

It would be grateful have a widget with some chosen note, even in readonly.
For seeing my quick note on home screen.

3 Likes

This is what I’ve started using as well - Tasker has been incredibly helpful in this endeavor, as well as others!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.