Favicon not working on Brave browser

The favicon isn’t showing up on the Brave browser for me, but when I add “image/x-icon” to the link tag in my developer tools, it starts working.

There’s lots of other posts about favicons, but I wanted to post what I found by adding this in the developer tools.

Steps to reproduce

  1. Open a Brave browser to an obsidian note
  2. For posterity, change the favicon and publish the new image. I updated the my favicon image, which is when I saw issues. Not sure if that’s related.
  3. Open the developer tools, search for “favicon” and find the link tag referencing the icon. Add type=“image/x-icon” to make it look something like:
4. The favicon image should now show in the tab.

Expected result

The favicon should just work all the time. type="image/x-icon" might need to be included in the HTML template you are using.

Actual result

The Obsidian logo shows as my favicon unless I am looking at a page that contains the favicon image directly embedded in the page in an image tag.

Environment

  • Operating system: macOS montwray, Brave Browser
  • Debug info: SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v0.15.9
    Installer version: v0.15.9
    Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.6.0: Wed Aug 10 14:28:35 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8020.141.5~2/RELEASE_ARM64_T8101 21.6.0
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: none
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: Things
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Restricted mode: off
    Plugins installed: 1
    Plugins enabled: 1
    1: Flashcards v1.6.3

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.


Additional information

FWIW, the favicon is working for me today without having to change the HTML. It might’ve been a caching thing on my end!