Failed to open. no permission to access folder

Steps to reproduce

I have been using two vaults in my Obsidian and I switch between them often. Yesterday, I was able to switch between vaults and it worked fine. Today, I tried switching between the vaults like usual with my custom hotkey ‘Shift+V’ and the vault switch pane opened and I clicked the vault to be opened.

Expected result

The selected vault should open.

Actual result

Got an error message saying

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10
  • Obsidian version: Obsidian 0.9.20

Additional information

When I couldn’t open, I made a copy of the vaults and pasted them in new location and tried opening them as ‘Open folder as a vault’ and it opened and worked well. So, I deleted the previous vaults in old location,removed them in Obsidian switcher, pasted them again in the old location with the copy I made and tried opening them again in old location with ‘Open folder as a vault’, but the same error popped up again.

As mentioned in Discord (and for future users that got here through search): First thing to check is if the antivirus software is preventing access to the folder.

Glad it is working again!

1 Like

A faster and easier way to fix that is to start Obsidian as an admin, you’ll then have access to open the vault (that worked for me)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.