Extra line-spacing when a generic list is created using a hyphen before or after a checklist

In your screenshot the spacing between the 2 lists looks the same to me as the spacing within the list.

This is probably unrelated. Please download and reinstall Obsidian. Your installer version is out of date. It might not make a difference at all, but it might affect other things.

I can reproduce. I see the same behavior on iOS. In Reading Mode, there is more space between bullets. Even if there are blank lines between the checkbox list and regular list.

1 Like

The spacing is even. But the wider spacing only occurs (as far as I tested) if a bullet list follows a checklist.

If you put another block between them, the spacing expansion doesn’t happen.

2 Likes

- [ ] test
- [ ] another
- [ ] again

seperator

- Test
- Test

seperator

- [ ] test
- [ ] another
- [ ] again

- Test
- Test

That source (except I changed the words “test” to “seperator” was what I showed in my screenshot on iOS in Reading Mode. I’ll test on computers tomorrow.

I am using a Windows 11 on Surface Pro. Haven’t tried it on another OS or device. I have tried a few trouble shooting steps, but the issue persists. Just thought of reporting as I know it is something that should ultimately be fixed in a product.

Yours looks good. Wonder what the difference in testing is; maybe comparing the debug info might help

Yeah I finally remembered to test on MacOS, and I don’t see the issue there.

I don’t have access to Windows for a while. But I guess this is OS dependent.

@rigmarole has shared the correct sample text using backticks, hence not duplicating it

This is not a bug but a feature! :slight_smile: It’s called loose list. I learned that recently.

2 Likes

I think this is different from that.

1 Like

Reijo, this seems like a fair explanation. It is a feature indeed. But I have a doubt—the loose list does not get triggered when I use an asterisk to create bullets. any reason that you can think of?

I’d say it’s neither a bug nor a feature :smiley: Markdown is just specification hell and everybody does as they like.
Afaik, it is common for markdown viewers to interpret it as separate lists if the bullet character differs. Otherwise it is treated as a single list and thus triggers loose formatting due to the empty line. It appears that check boxes are implemented simply as a modifier of a list item rather than a different type of list item. And I think it’s a reasonable choice if expressive power is what you like. As a result you can use check boxes and regular list items interspersed or separate them using a different bullet type and on top of that you can use them in combination with loose and tight lists.
The problem is that nobody knows about loose and tight lists because they are barely needed. Markdown lists in general are quite unintuitive and quirky in my opinion.

1 Like

Agree. And thanks for that—I looked up loose and tight lists; now a lot of the behaviour I see on Obsidian makes sense.

I’m not sure who marked this as solved, but it is inconsistent depending on OS. I’m not certain that this is a loose lists issue.

Please leave the bug open. (Unless it’s a mod or dev who knows for sure.)

yes, this is the loose list “problem”. It should happen to all OSes.

@rigmarole, do you have an example of this happing on on OS and not in the other?

I haven’t personally tested Windows yet. But above someone else did.

iOS and Windows has the issue. MacOS, no. As far as I’ve tested.

Loose list are in the process of being removed.

3 Likes

Bring the champagne! :champagne: :partying_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.