Export to whatever, but the whole thing ... or so

Hey there!

I am currently thinking about the idea to finalize my novel in Obsidian. I am using now Scrivener 3 on Mac and on Windows to write, but I see that I could fulfil all tasks in Obsidian:

• Charactersheets
  • Notes
  • Ideas
  • Manuscript

The only thing I miss (or have not found yet) is a functionality to mark several folders with lots of MD files (I like to break the manuscript into chapters and each chapter is a folder) and export it that way that at the end, let’s say, 30 files stored in 5 folders are being put together to one big file.

Is there a function in Obsidian that can do that, or has anyone of the smart guys who are developing plugins, created something that can export and build a file?

Thanks,
Peter

Try the longform plugin:

1 Like

You can also merge files together using Dataview and Templater plugins, see example here: Merge notes based on metadata (with Templater and Dataview api).

1 Like

You could also try pandoc, a command-line program for converting formats, which allows you to merge as you convert. There’s a pandoc plugin for Obsidian; I don’t know how or of it handles merge options.

I plan to use Ulysses to do my exporting because it has a nice interface for it. The options for Obsidian are a little too DIY for my taste.

I’d agree with this.
It’s also easy to manage sequences in WriteMonkey3, but the export view is better in Ulysses (& Inspire Writer). otoh, if there’s a further process, such as Vellum, then the simple export in the correct sequence should be sufficient.

Hi!

Thanks to you all for your helpful postings. For now, I continue using Scrivener for writing the first draft of my typescripts and use Obsidian for all related notes. The export abilities maybe good for tech-affine people, but they seem to me not intuitive and easy to use.

Thanks!
Peter

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.