Export to .docx

Notes should have the option to export to Word document.

I use Obsidian to write essays. Presently, getting a Word document output involves me selecting the content of the note, copy and pasting into the Word document, and then re-adding all of the formatting that wasn’t captured by the copy command. So, native export would save me a lot of hassle.

(I have tried using the Pandoc plugin. I can’t get it to work. Even if I could, I think this functionality is so central to how I use this software that it deserves to be native to Obsidian.)

8 Likes

I agree that native .docx (and .odt) export would be a great addition. I got Pandoc to work, but it is not very user-friendly.

1 Like

Agree. I would really like the export to come display the user-customized font as what the native Export to PDF is doing. Pandoc is offers poor experience to people concerned with aesthetics.

By using the Pandoc plugin, you can get a fairly efficient set up (compared to pandoc directly in the cli). You just need to set it up right.

To get a similar aesthetic, you can modify the style of the custom-reference.docx to match the font and any other parameters you want.

This file can first be generated using pandoc --print-default-data-file reference.docx > custom-reference.docx in the terminal as explained here. You then need to add this parameter --reference-doc=<custom-reference.docx path> to the “Extra Pandoc arguments” in the settings of the Pandoc plugin. You just need to replace <custom-reference.docx path> by the path to you custom-reference.docx file.

Also, if you need to use citations in your essay, the obsidian-citation-plugin used along Zotero and Better BibTeX works great. Again, it is just about setting things up properly first but once it is done, it works great (better than the MS Word add-ons IMO).

I found the plugin Obsidian Enhancing Export, and it works. It keeps the footnotes.