Export/copy text with certain text width

What I already did

• Toggle “readable line length”
  • Copy text from editor and preview mode

What I’m trying to do

I would like to copy my text with a readable line length (e.g. 76 characters). Then I would like paste it into a GitHub README or Issue to avoid the full-monitor text width.

Is there any possibility to do this efficiently in Obsidian without any usage of external tools like Notepad++?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Does it help to toggle the Readable Line Length?
this is in Obsidian settings > Editor > Readable Line Length

If not can you add screenshot to try to understand this better?

Is the final destination for the text a GitHub README? They use Markdown by default, which is a form of plain text and plain text doesn’t retain any text formatting (e.g. width of text, color, font size, etc.).

If @santi and I are misunderstanding your issue, it would be great if you could explain further.

1 Like

@santi, @JonathanBuchh: I’ll try to be more precise.

Does it help to toggle the Readable Line Length?

I had tried that before, but it didn’t help.

They use Markdown by default, which is a form of plain text and plain text doesn’t retain any text formatting (e.g. width of text, color, font size, etc.).

A double space should lead to a line break.

I create my text in Obsidian (readable line length is activated), so in editor and preview mode everything is fine. Now I want to use the text from Obsidian e.g. in GitHub or any other Markdown document.

More precisely: I wonder if there is a way that the “readable line length” is preserved even when copying - e.g. by Obsidian inserting automated two spaces?

see also How can I wrap a line at 80 characters in Markdown? - Stack Overflow

I hope my question is a little clearer. Do you have any idea how this could be solved?

I don’t believe what you want can be automated at the moment. Unfortunately for your use case, turning Readable line length on doesn’t alter the actual Markdown file—it just changes how it’s rendered. If you are adding something to a GitHub README, your page won’t fill up the whole screen since the README only takes up part of the screen. Let me know if you have any more questions :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.