Export a complete vault as single html

For single notes you can use Typora - I’m using it to copy notes as HTML and paste them in WordPress’ back-end.

Similarly, you can merge multiple notes - either using one of the available plugins for Obsidian or manually (combining MarkDown files is the same as combining TXTs and can be done with a single command in a terminal) and then go the Typora route.

Of course, this way you lose any inter-linking between notes, and I don’t think images are supported. However, if that’s what you want, exporting hundreds of linked MarkDown notes as HTML while keeping their internal structure/links, then you need a whole different solution that I don’t think even exists.

This is not exact solution to your query, but look forward to this potential solution:

I recently found Publii. It is an offline CMS (static site generator). But currently don’t support any of the Obsidian features (except markdown input). However, they say they are going to allow extending it through ‘Plugins’.

Hope, it will help us publish Obsidian Vaults through it. Btw, I raised an issue for this specific enhancement on their Github profile. It would be nice if more persons, encourage them to bring such plugin.

Yes, exactly right. Obsidian is not as flexible as one would expect. Officially, it only supports pdf export now, which means that pdfs in dark mode don’t play any role.

pdf means that the complex CSS formatting will be broken.

Exporting with plugins also breaks Obsidian CSS formatting

html would be a great solution

1 Like

A core Plugin that supports standard export into

• word
  • html page
  • folder to htm website
  • rtf
    etc.

would be something that would be really helpful.
All this workarounds mentioned in these topics are mostly not easy to install, depend on single user (who maintain the tool) and sometimes fail.

If Obsidian looks for commercial user…then this kind of export is really needed.

3 Likes

The tool mentioned by @Froodooo lead me to find this one called obsidian-html and man it is simple and efficient ! It might not allow to put a whole vault in one single file but it allows to locally share a working vault that can run without Obsidian from a local server or even directly as html files with relative paths. It even supports :

• A graph (when runed on a local server)
  • Folder pane
  • Tag pane (only works with yaml front matter tags)
  • Backlink pane

It seems to me like a great way to share parts of your vault with friends and family without making a live website which is great for slightly more private stuff.

I use the Marked 2 app daily to open Markdown files, including Obsidian files, so I can share them in various ways.

After you open files in Marked, the app elegantly exports to DOCX, HTML, PDF, RTF, ODT… Perfect for sharing.

Although I have no connection to the developer, I use Marked every day and recommend it, because it’s fast and simple to use.

Sounds interesting, will check that out.
Although I still believe that solid exports should be a part of the core software.

1 Like

thanks for the tip, but this is Mac only and does not offer solutions for Linux and Windows

I would really benefit from such a feature. Sharing obsidian notes is almost impossible right now to non-obsidian users.

1 Like

This is now possible using my Python script and Cosma.

Good news!! Just saw this in the latest Obsidian Roundup:

First try, seems to work pretty well. Exporting an entire vault did not include any canvas files, though, and exporting a single canvas file yielded something pretty empty. But the creator acknowledges he’s working on that.

Also, each note is rendered into its own html file. I have a fantasy that someday it might be possible to package everything into a single html5, but that’s probably unrealisitic.

Shoutout and two thumbs up to @KosmosisDire !

2 Likes

Also want to acknowledge this one GitHub - obsidian-html/obsidian-html: Python code to convert Obsidian notes to proper markdown and optionally to create an html site too. as mentioned earlier. Looks very complete, but I cannot find it in the Obsidian community plugin repository, so haven’t tried it yet.

This is what I need. All in 1 file that I can send to a client.

1 Like

Putting multiple files into one html file is an interesting idea. I’ll consider making this a feature in the future, although it is definetly a hefty undertaking so it probably won’t be soon.

And thanks for the shoutout, I’m glad you like the plugin! :smiley:

2 Likes