'Exploding' Quotes and other tagged blocks

Hi,

I’m new to Obsidian and am so far finding it to work well for the way I take notes on essays/books, but I’d love to be able to do one specific type of thing that so far I haven’t managed to quite figure out, but I’m wondering if anyone could help me find a way, or alternatively let me know if it’s not possible.

What I’m trying to do

Basically, as I read, I like to jot down random notes and also pull quotes. So basically my note-taking is linear, in that a random note of my own will be followed by a quoted segment of the text, etc etc.

What I’d love to be able to do is then organise my notes on a new page using headings, eg, a subheading “Quotes” which contains every quote I pulled from the text. Ideally, this would be like the exploding block reference function, but would be for a ‘type’ rather than a unique block.

Alongside quotes, I’d also then want to ‘tag’ blocks of text to be accessed under other headings, eg, ‘Key points’, ‘Summary’ etc. Basically, I want to turn the linear, disorganised information into categorised information which is separately accessible.

Things I have tried

What I firstly did was block quote all of my quotes, then follow them with a hashtag, ie, #quote/marx/capital/ch3/ – Using the nested hashtags in this way is ideal for me as a way to then access the quotes systematically, or embed them underneath a heading. On my organised notes page, I then then put a ‘query’ which showed all of my #quote/marx/capital quotes, but they only display a link to each quote, rather than display the quotes in full. The problem with hashtags is that they don’t reference the ‘block’ but only the hashtag itself. Unless there is a way to adjoin the hashtags to the block of text proceeding it?

The second thing I tried was putting bock referencing next to each quote. Obviously the problem with this is that a unique code means only one quote can be referenced, so I cannot quickly access, say, all quotes on a given page.

Thank you

2 Likes

I’m also new, about a week in and looking to set out a solid workflow for note-taking before I get into the massive endeavour that will be transferring a decade or so of misc book notes and random piles of sticky notes into my Obsidian Zettelkasten. Having trouble differentiating between the functions of tags and back-links. Following with interest.

1 Like

I’ve also been mulling over how best to handle quotes. Here are some potential solutions: