Exclude filetypes from sync?

Use case or problem

I put all kinds of source files into my vault: python files, latex files. These are relatively small and should be synced across devices. However, when running python or converting the latex to pdfs, the compilers create all kinds of intermediate files (__pycache__ folders for python, a lot of .aux, .bibtex etc. files for latex). These are side products and do not need to be synced.

I’d like to be able to select the filetypes or folder names I want to upload recursively (similarly to a .gitignore), not by absolute paths (as is possible).

Proposed solution

Currently we can only activate or deactivate relatively big file type sections (upload all images/all videos or do not upload them for example). Other than that, the only option is to either upload everything (except for some hardcoded absolute folder names) or nothing.

It would be nice if one could have something like “upload everything except files ending in *.file or folders called xyz (only folder name __pycache__, not its absolute path)”. Similarly as .gitignores already do it.

I think the absolute best solution would be for obsidian sync to be able to parse .gitignores. The syntax is very easy and relatively widely known and the users can use the abundance of templates for these files for different working environments.

1 Like