Escape resets title and blocks vim workflow

When I edit the title and then press escape it jumps back to the original title. When using vim-mode this behavior is not intuitive because escape means in vim: “I am done editing”. It happens constantly to me and have to force myself to remember pressing enter instead of escape.

6 Likes

Thanks for posting this, this is an annoyance I face every single day and I always postpone making a request on it.

I have to write note titles at least 2 or 3 times for me to remeber that I should press ‘Enter’ instead of ‘Esc’ to confirm it’s been done.

I do see how for non vim users ‘escape’ would cancel things and ‘enter’ would confirm.

but for us vim-users escape is everything and like you said, it’s a confirmation botton as well, so I 100% agree and support this request for vim-mode.

2 Likes

I can see this is a very old topic, but it’s still open and I came here to make the same request. Also, although this topic is tagged ‘editor-legacy’, this bug still impacts me even though I’m not using the legacy editor - I have legacy editor switched off and vim key bindings switched on.

I agree with santi, it takes me multiple attempts every time I edit a note title because I habitually press ‘Esc’ when done writing, and having vim mode turned on (which is great by the way, thank you for supporting it!) definitely reinforces pressing Esc frequently.

I think sensible behaviour when pressing Esc with the title selected and vim mode turned on would be to dump you to the first line of the file in normal mode. It’s hard to make title behaviour totally consistent with the file contents, but I think this behaviour would be least confusing to habitual vim users.

I am having the same issue. Any update on workaround?

1 Like

I’m in the habit of pressing escape and losing the titles too. Has anyone else found a solution for this?

I agree that it’s a very frustrating behavior, I just edited the same title 5 times in a row just because of how ingrained in my muscle memory this behavior is.
It would be really nice to have this fixed, either with @Falacer 's solution or (even better but maybe harder to implement) having vim mode on the title itself, Esc takes you into normal mode and just doing a j would get you to the main body.

1 Like