ENOENT Error when using shared google drive folders

Things I have tried

Searching the forums, looking for other similar errors, but I didn’t find anything.

What I’m trying to do

My friend had a working vault. He moved the entire set of folders and files to Google Drive and shared it with me. Then I installed the Google Drive Desktop App (Windows 10). Now the shared folder is just like a folder on the computer. The path looks like O:.shortcut-targets-by-id\1_CJiTUbC…AWF\VaultName\

When I try to open the vault, I get an error saying "An error occurred while loading Obsidian. Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, stat ‘O:.shortcut-targets-by-id\1_CJiTUbC…AWF\VaultName.obsidian\plugins\desktop.ini’. Two buttons are available: “Reload app” and “Open another vault”.

In Windows Explorer, if I navigate to the plugins folder it is talking about, desktop.ini does exist in that folder. Now, just by navigating there, if I press “reload app”, it works and loads the vault.

Problem is, it only works until I reboot my computer, at which point I have to do the whole navigation thing again. Note that the path is not changing (I checked all the weird letters etc and they are identical).

Is there a way I can workaround this problem? Thanks!

Another thing I noticed - when I use command prompt to look for desktop.ini in the plugins folder, it doesn’t show any such file. When I navigate there with the explorer, the file starts showing up (maybe because it was created by navigating there). Strangely, navigating to the folder also shows two files both named desktop.ini (one’s icon is translucent while the other is solid). I have never seen two files with the same name ever allowed in the same folder… ?

With more tinkering around, I ended up deleting all the desktop.ini files, both in my friend’s Google Drive folder, and in my local cache. One reboot and things seem to be working.

Short answer: Try deleting as many desktop.ini files as you can and hope for the best…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.