Enable Ctrl+Scroll or gesture on touchpad to change zoom in common way

Enable Ctrl+Scroll or gesture on touchpad to change zoom as is currently done with Ctrl±, Ctrl+=. As is common e.g. in internet browser.
purpose: be more intuitive for new users.

• When no graphview is displayed in the active pane. (In Graph View it already works.)
  • When no map in iframe is under cursor.

Related feature requests:

less related:

6 Likes

We won’t be implementing this. Obsidian is not an internet browser despite using web technologies. Most people don’t expect their desktop app to resize everything when ctrl/cmd+scrolling, especially since ctrl is often pressed for all kinds of hotkey combinations like ctrl+z, ctrl+c, etc. It’s quite easy to accidentally scroll and make the interface huge or tiny, not knowing how to go back to normal.

Thank you for reply. That surprises me.
For me in Windows 7, both touchpad gesture and Ctrl+scroll work in:

• AutoHotkey offline help, EmEditor, Google Chrome, IrfanView, LibreOffice, Opera, Microsoft Paint, Stellarium, editor in SuperMemo, TheBrain, VLC Media player, Windows desktop, Windows Explorer, …

So I considered it to be a standard and expected behavior. Maybe other OS is different. I do not recall having issue of zooming accidentally due to this functionality.
But I fully respect your decision.

1 Like

We might be adding a editor font size as a plugin - when that’s available it might be reasonable to hook that up to Ctrl+Scroll. Right now the only zooming mechanism is zooming the entire interface which doesn’t seem to happen on most other apps.

3 Likes

it would be cool to add zoom of text with “ctrl + mouse scroll” like notepad++ or any ide studio

You can use Ctrl +, Ctrl - to zoom-in/out the interface.

Yes, but then the whole interface will increase
and something will break. I want to increase only the text as in Word or Notepad++ is it possible?

You are specifically looking to increase the font size of the editor window with this? No, it is not currently possible.

You can modify the font-size property via custom CSS. Perhaps someone will build a plugin to modify this font-size property with the scroll wheel, as you suggest.

1 Like

This was already requested and moved to feature archive by @Licat
Details are in: Enable Ctrl+Scroll or gesture on touchpad to change zoom in common way

1 Like

Moving this back to feature requests - not going to get to it right now but it’s still a good idea once there’s an easy way to change font size for the editor.

+1 on wanting the feature. I switch between a large monitor and a small one. My eye sight isn’t what it used to be and my first instinct is to zoom into the text. I know I can change the system setting, but it is not something I really need until I am trying to focus on a long paragraph of text, which happens to be what my notes are like.

Font resize Implemented in 0.12

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.