Embedding unscrollable PDF pages

Hello everyone,
I am having a hard time working with embedded single PDF pages.
I have a note with multiple PDF embeds of the same file, each showing a different page of the document through internal linking ( ![[(file).pdf#page=(number)] )

What I’m trying to do

But I find it very tedious that scrolling through the note occasionally also scrolls through the respective PDFs when the cursor is on top of it while scrolling. I would like to have the pages sit statically inside of the note, without being able to scroll it - or at least avoid the scrolling while the cursor is hovering over the embed.

Is there a way around this?

I have tried to search for fitting CSS snippets, but I was not able to find any.
There appears to be a solution in another tool by somehow limiting overflow. But I am not proficient in CSS at all which heavily limits my understanding of how this would be applicable for Obsidian.

Any help or pointer is greatly appreciated.

I would love this too, would be super useful for TTRPG books and other reference without having to screenshot and crop and manage more assets to have the same effect.

This CSS snippet will do.

/* Hide alt text of PDF embed */
.internal-embed.pdf-embed::before {
    display: none;
}

/* ![[filename.pdf|fix]] will block pointer events */
.internal-embed.pdf-embed[alt="fix"] .pdf-container {
    pointer-events: none;
}

With this snippet enabled, any PDF embed of the form ![[...|fix]] will be unscrollable.

Options

1. If you want to make all PDF embeds with #page=... unscrollable, replace [alt="fix"] with [src*="#page="].

2. To hide the toolbar at the top, add this:

.internal-embed.pdf-embed[alt="fix"] .pdf-toolbar {
    }

3. Also, you can change fix to any string you like. For example, if you like ![[filename.pdf|unscrollable]], use this instead:

.internal-embed.pdf-embed::before {
    }

.internal-embed.pdf-embed[alt="unscrollable"] .pdf-container {
    }

4. You can make ALL pdf embeds unscrollable by

.internal-embed.pdf-embed .pdf-container {
    }

Limitation

This approach blocks all pointer events, not just scrolling. So other actions like selecting text, right-clicking to get the link to the selection, … won’t work.
If someone knows a better solution, I would love to learn it so please let me know

5 Likes

Thank you! This works like a charm.
I also appreciate the in-depth instructions you provided!

1 Like

I have a little follow-up:

Are you aware of a method to fit the embedded page to a height that has been set in markdown?

I know there’s a (Fit Height) function for it via the toolbar - but since the toolbar is (thankfully) neither visible nor accessible now, I was wondering if there was a method to force this continually.

[[filename.pdf#page=1&height=600]] would start on page 1 and fix the height at 600.

later I’ll have a go at implementing the above solution and see if I can get non-scrolling and fixed height working together.

1 Like

That would be absolutely amazing.

turns out it really is as simple as:

[[filename.pdf#page=1&height=600|fix]]

to get a 600 pixel tall embed of pdf page 1 if you’re using ush’s handy snippet!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.