Editing via reading view leads to reverting the whole document to a previous state (data loss)

Steps to reproduce

Create a new note. Open it to the right as well. Use source mode in the left split and reading mode in the right split. Now, in left split, add ‘topics’ property but keep it empty. Add any content to the note. Now in the reading view, add a topic in ‘topics’ property. The content vanishes.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes

Expected result

The topic should be added whilst keeping everything else intact.

Actual result

The content of the file are deleted.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v1.4.5
	Installer version: v1.4.5
	Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.22621
	Login status: not logged in
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

Hmm, it should be windows 11, debug info shows Windows 10.

Additional information

Video demonstrating the behavior in a sandbox vault.
Obsidian_6uWINkOwlY

I’ve experienced the same problem. It seems as if the contents of the file jumps back to a previous state. I did also first add properties in source mode, then when adding a new property via the GUI in reading view as soon as I’ve given the name to the new property and tabbed away from the field, the content jumps back to a previous state reflecting quite a while back in time (minutes).

It looks as if the YAML code is reformatted as soon as you add a property via the GUI. Does that have anything to do with it?

Here’s the file before adding the property via GUI:
En till anteckning, bara en test (PRE).md (916 Bytes)
And after:
En till anteckning, bara en test (POST).md (428 Bytes)

Quick fix: Using CTRL+Z in the tab with source mode brings the content back.

thanks. This only happens when the properties are edited via reading view. The whole note is reversed to a previous state. I renamed this bug report.

1 Like

Will be fixed 1.4.6

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.