Editing Mode Live Preview Superscripts Bug

Steps to reproduce

1. In ‘Editing’ Mode, type any arbitrary sentence at the bottom of a given Obsidian page, let’s say - 5. Endnote citation
  2. Go to the top of the page and type out a sentence that ends with an in-page link to this citation. For example: Random sentence that ends with citation. 5
  3. Now, convert this number 5 to an html superscript that will be linked as so <sup>[[#^CITATION_LINK_HERE |5]]</sup>
  4. Notice how when clicking away the Live Preview doesn’t display a superscripted 5 at the end of the sentence. It will Live Preview the entire html as a superscripted string but the link will not render as expected.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

• Yes

Expected result

• The sentence ending in a citation link should show a superscripted value of 5 and not the contents of the of the html superscript.

Actual result

• A superscripted display of [[#^abc123 |5]] is being shown. Note that abc123 is an arbitrary link.

This displays correctly in the ‘Reading’ view of Obsidian but not in Live Preview of ‘Editing’ mode.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v1.3.7
	Installer version: v1.3.5
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 22.6.0: Wed Jul  5 22:21:56 PDT 2023; root:xnu-8796.141.3~6/RELEASE_X86_64 22.6.0
	Login status: logged in
	Catalyst license: none
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: LYT Mode v1.5.0
	Snippets enabled: 1
	Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.

Additional information

Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 9.24.49 PM

This is what shows in ‘reading’ mode and is expected in ‘edit’ mode’s live preview:
Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 9.27.51 PM

I am slightly confused, your textual example sentence doesn’t match with the attached pictures, - also why would you want to use html code to superscript your footnote link?

In my experience, inline footnote links are always rendered as superscript, no matter if you view your note in source mode or live preview, preview view.

What you can’t by default, is to add metadata to footnote links. A css snippet may be able to solve this issue, if it’s this what you’re looking for

Or you’re using a more advanced version of Obsidian, i at least am using the latest public build

Or you don’t need footnote links at all and you just want to superscript regular wiki links

I’m confused by this reply? There are two examples I provided. A text example and an image example (both clearly have different text). It is pretty straightforward, the ‘reading’ mode is displaying the HTML as expected, but the ‘edit’ mode with Live Preview enabled isn’t. Why is this?

Hello

HTML and Markdown are not fully supported in live preview, if that is what you mean. Several similar threads on the forum.

Obsidian’s provision of Markdown footnotes not suitable for your needs?

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.