Edit transcluded (embedded) notes (blocks) in place (likely requires WYSWYG first)

+1 For this request it seems like is in many other apps like Notion, Remnote, Logseq and what not. I am coming from Remnote, and it was one of my favorite things, I wasn’t an advance user, but that feature is wonderful. Please add editable embeds/transclusions to obsidian.

8 Likes

+1 Writing with many transclusions. I’m using notes that are often getting updated and expanded, receive more links; at the same time their material is also in other notes that are made for specific teaching and writing projects. Editable transclusions would be such a help. Thanks for making this possible natively.

3 Likes

Just a little hint: make sure you have upvoted the OP :wink:

3 Likes

+1 - it would be such a great feature for creating dashboards for many projects, where one could fetch notes from many different places and edit these parts in one place.

5 Likes

I wonder if Canvas would help you? You can edit directly on the Canvas and can have notes from different places on one Canvas.

3 Likes

I hadn’t thought of this. Good call! A possible downside is that unfortunately you lose the backlink functionality when embedding in canvases. And, in the long term, it can be a bit tedious to draft and rearrange within canvas. The issue with generating an output would also be annoying. There are threads about outputting canvases such as this: Convert Canvas to note(s) (enable the use of Canvas to initially outline long-form writing).

And I just created this request: Alt drag and drop multiple selected nodes in canvas to generate sequenced list of links. This request is also relevant in that respect: Note Combination.

But, you are absolutely right. When you want to be able to easily edit embeds from various sources, arranging them in a canvas can be a pretty good workaround.

Thanks!

4 Likes

I agree. So many PKM apps have editing of tranclusions in place that it’s starting to seem like table stakes in the space rather than a nice-to-have feature. I’m surprised it hasn’t been implemented yet.

5 Likes

Considering that there are 2 plug-ins that provide a workaround, viz. Hover Editor and Make.md, this FR probably has a ow priority even though both workarounds are buggy.

I don’t agree. Hover Editor works in a separate window, and is barely more convenient than clicking through to the transcluded file. And Make.md radically changes the UX, so it’s not a solution if all you want is in-place editing of transclusions. But it does show that it’s possible to implement.

A recent post on the Obsidian subreddit asked users what missing feature they wanted most, and in-place editing of transclusions came in a close second, so obviously a lot of people want it. And if you used transclusions a lot and had ever experienced it in an app that had the feature, you’d know why.

6 Likes

Agree with you that editing transclusions (“mirroring”) would be a great mainline feature.

I’ve found hoover more convenient by adding shortcuts With Settings > Community Plugins > Hoover (Hotkeys) and then making shortcuts for opening a new hover editor with Ctr+Shift+H and then Ctrl+Shift+\ for opening the current link under cursor (some bugs on my OS with actually hovering)

Make.md has promise - I think it would be great if its features could be more distinctly turned on and off (current disabling options bugged out on me) or even for the plugin to be made into multiple separate plugins, & currently makes the UI a bit noisy

3 Likes

I’m curious too!

In that case, another work-around is just to open the transcluded note in its own panel using native Obsidian mechanism :rofl: Yes, we can get to the transcluded note using plugin, but we always could, with our without these plugins. The point is a QOL improvement to do it with less friction, because all the mechanics of getting to the transcluded node. The plugins including (the fantastic)
Hover Editor etc. either do not not help much (in this use case) or disrupt the flow for folks who “liked” this FR.

Hover Editor is awesome, and I use it for many things including this. But in this particular application it does not really help too much over simply ctrl-clicking the transclude link, so I would not say it addresses this QOL need at all.

(I like some of the things in Make.md. I would find some subset of things I like there useful. But it is massive, massive, massive, plugin that does a billion other things that I don’t care for and worse, not all of it can be disabled. I cannot tell you how much I DETEST the “maker mode” pop ups it keeps throwing at me when I just want to write. It’s a no-go, and frankly, as a work-around is like saying you want me to bring in an engineering company to rebuild the kitchen when all that’s needed is a convenient stand for the paper towels :laughing:)

3 Likes

Frankly, Make.md is unusable for me now in its approach.

4 Likes

I have not tried the latest version of make.md, but the last time I tried it out, it totally crashed my vault. I have quite large vaults, and I guess putting 60 transclusions in one file in maker mode was too much for it…

2 Likes

I fully agree with that, which is why I opened the FR in the 1st place.

2 Likes

I see that now, so I was whining to the converted :grimacing: :melting_face:. Apologies

1 Like

No prob, been there, done that :rofl:

1 Like

Does make.md actually show that in place editing of transclusions is technically possible? I’m asking cause I’m not technical and I can’t really understand whether in place editing is even possible since Obsidian works at the document level

@Aleph From my experience, whether it is Make.md, Hover Editor or any other such plug-in, they are all workarounds for in situ editing of transclusions, and as workarounds they are all janky.

If you look at how smooth and seamless the process in e.g. Logseq or Roam Research is, then what the Obsidian plug-ins offer is not satisfactory.

Note: I am referring specifically to the transclsuion editing aspect of the plug-ins, not to their other features and overall quality!!

8 Likes

Yep, anyone who’s experienced editing transclusions in place in an app like Logseq is likely to want it in Obsidian, and find the workarounds inadequate. Editable transclusions are a logical extension of the concept of links and backlinks between notes, and would be a natural expansion of Obsidian’s core functionality, not just another new feature.

11 Likes