EACCES error when trying to rename files in Obsidian

Problem

When I try to rename a file I get a EACCES: Permission denied, rename’ error message:

Things I have tried

Updated Obsidian and plugins to the latest version.
I’m using Obsidian Sync to sync my files.
Checked that folder in my User Library that is synched with Obsidian Sync has Read/Write permissions for my user.

What I find curious is that the file has the following permissions:

20211018 Finder Klanten MOC.md Info

I wonder why there are two ‘everyone’ settings.
To my knowledge, I have not changed anything manually with this file.
Before I switched to Obsidian Sync the files have resided on iCloud Drive for syncing. Maybe that caused this?

Does anyone know what I need to do to get these files in a state where I can rename them within Obsidian?

Thanks for any help.

Sidenote: the error message spells ‘access’ incorrectly. it misses a ‘s’ at the end if the word should be ‘access’ anyway.

Is there anyone that could help with this problem? I’d love to solve it?
Maybe someone knows what are the correct permissions for Obsidian files (that are synched by Obsidian Sync)? Then I could correct it.
I don’t just want to try something with the risk of messing up my sync.

Thanks a lot.

Hoi Jan, I don’t know the direct solution to your problem, because I don’t use Sync.

But what happens if you create a new vault? Does a new vault has the same issues? If not, you could move your files to that vault and continue there. I would also definitely make a backup in your case.

Thanks for your reply @JayKim I will try this but I’m not sure that copying will give the files restored permissions. AFAIK they stick.

Can someone who uses Sync on macOS please post what permissions their files have? I could derive from that how I can restore them. Thanks!

I’ve found a solution (though not the cause helas).
There was something wrong with the ACLs (Access Control List) for thoses files.
BatchMod helped solving it.
I’m sure it can be done via command line/Terminal but I didn’t know the right commands and this has a UI.

In my case it was important to activate ‘Clear ACLs (10.5+)’.
After running it my files and folders all had the right owners and permissions without the double ‘everyone’. All good now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.