Dynalist vs Obsidian

How to Use Them Properly

Other than creating notes or building knowledge.

This is the concept that I use for different purposes.

Structure Creates Freedom

Dynalist values structures more; the structure creates freedom.

Something do once and with a rest of mind. So my brain could not re-thinking what’s that mean, where is it and so forth. My brain can be freed up and doesn’t have to be thinking about those things.

For example, I use Dynalist for a quick call.

• inbox
  • task with a deadline
  • road map or plan (wish Dynalist do the friction kanban view)
  • permanent note for recalling the memory

Connection Creates Creativity

Obsidian values connections more; the connection creates creativity and knowing your boundaries.

“Creativity is just connecting things. When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn’t really do it, they just saw something.” - Steve Jobs

For example, I use Obsidian for creating atom note.

• connecting ideas
  • understand my circle of competence

“You don’t have to be an expert on every company, or even many. You only have to be able to evaluate companies within your circle of competence. The size of that circle is not very important; knowing its boundaries, however, is vital.” - Warren Buffett

5 Likes

I’m a long-time Dynalist user and started in a similar fashion. Dynalist for projects and Personal Kanban. Obsidian for notes and knowledge.

However I’ve now put everything into Obsidian, based on Dave Allen (of GTD fame) 's advice of putting everything in one “trusted system”. I reckon what I lose by not easily being able to re-order lists nor having reminders I will gain by having everything in one place and being able to link to reference material.

I’m also still prone to keeping too much stuff in my head and ignoring my lists regardless of where they are, so going from having two tools to one can only help!

The Trusted System

The concept behind the GTD is more than get things done.

My understand about the trust system is not an inbox or a place, instead of achieving mind like water.

Capture anything and everything that has your attention and keep them in a transparent box, and whenever can seen through inside the box.

I would be happier if developer can put outline feature like the Dynalist or bridge with the Obsidian.

I wish one day, someone can make marginnote (reference) + dynalist (structure) + obsidian (connection) into one app.

1 Like

If you’re looking for a kanban board that plays nice with obsidian, you might like imdone.io

4 Likes

Oh this looks very cool

1 Like

Watched the demo. I think this is great. Going to download and give it a whirl. Very nice look and feel.

1 Like

I’ll have a new release out in the morning, so be on the lookout for 1.8.0

1 Like

Thanks, that looks very cool. I’ll have a play.

1 Like

Just had a play. Fab. Works really well with Obsidian. I just created a sub-folder in my main Obsidian folder/vault. I’m pretty sure I’ll be paying for a license. Kanban and PKM all in markdown and linked… can it get any better?

1 Like

I should have version 1.8.1 available today. It’ll have an option in the Open With: dropdown for obsidian.

2 Likes
1 Like