During "Rainbow emoji" Search, it also includes results from "Rainbow Flag"

Steps to reproduce

1. Its a simple one. I use the symbols of Rainbow Flag :rainbow_flag: and Rainbow :rainbow: for different purposes. When I use search for β€œ:rainbow_flag:” Rainbow Flag it works fine, but when I search for β€œ:rainbow:” Rainbow it gives me Rainbow and Rainbow Flag results mixed together. I reproduced this inside Sandbox Vault.
    Step 1. Type :rainbow: in search.

Expected result

Just results with 🌈. Without including πŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆ.

Actual result

It mixes results from :rainbow_flag: and :rainbow:.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.8
Installer version: v1.4.13
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 23.4.0: Wed Feb 21 21:44:06 PST 2024; root:xnu-10063.101.15~2/RELEASE_ARM64_T8103 23.4.0
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: supporter
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Base theme: adapt to system
Community theme: Blue Topaz v20230218
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 29
Plugins enabled: 8
1: Spaced Repetition v1.11.1
2: Templater v1.16.0
3: Mind Map v1.1.0
4: Natural Language Dates v0.6.1
5: Hotkeys++ v0.2.7
6: Kanban v1.5.3
7: Dataview v0.5.56
8: Advanced Tables v0.18.1

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Additional information

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP AND HAVE AN EXCELLENT DAY

I suspect you see that behavior because some emoji are actually composed of multiple emoji plus a combining character. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji#Joining

yes, @CawlinTeffid is correct. However, exact phrase matching "🌈" should work and it doesn’t.

1 Like