Drag n drop fails on long file names

If I drag and drop a photo it sometimes does not get copied into obsidian. I tried it on the Sandbox with no plugins etc. (thanks for the tip this is a good way to test).

It seems to have to do with the naming of files. If the names are long the files do not get created in the vault. e.g. 2022_04_14 06 36 PM IMG_1433 04/14/2022.JPG fails when dragged from the external drive or the local drive to the vault.

Environment

• Operating system: MAC OS Big Sur 11.7.1
  • Debug info:

SYSTEM INFO: Obsidian version: v1.1.9 Installer version: v0.15.9 Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 20.6.0: Thu Sep 29 20:15:11 PDT 2022; root:xnu-7195.141.42~1/RELEASE_X86_64 20.6.0 Login status: logged in Catalyst license: supporter Insider build toggle: on Live preview: on Legacy editor: off Base theme: dark Community theme: none Snippets enabled: 0 Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS: none

The problem might be the slashes (/) in the name rather than the length. Slashes are used in file paths to separate folders (you might be able to get away with it on Mac outside of Obsidian because Mac used to use colon (:) instead of slash and has some compatibility stuff in place).

1 Like

it seems you you may be right. I replaced the “/” for “_” in the file names and they drasged OK

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.