Drag and drop PDF to create wikilink not embed

Unfortunately, there still isn’t one. I still must remove the ! before the [[]] every time.

1 Like

I also support this feature. I link to files much more than I embed them, so it would be nice to have the ability to toggle whether new files are added to Obsidian with the embed ![[]] or are just linked [[]]. It would be useful for this to apply to all the ways files could be added to a note, including if they are dragged from the desktop on a computer, dragged from a folder within Obsidian, inserted as an attachment on mobile, etc.

That way I don’t have to manually delete the ! most times since I simply want to link a file. If I do want to embed, I could easily add the ! manually, or change the global setting back to include the ! by default.

1 Like

+1 on this. I add PDF’s all the time to my daily note - print outs of emails, reports, meeting agendas and so on, and having them embed seems like a strange default behaviour, as you end up with a cluttered - and increasingly slow - document (and it’s not as good as opening the PDF full screen in a tab or external viewer). Yes, I can remove the ! but it does spoil the workflow, requires a bit of mouse dexterity in lists and checklists, and is time consuming if I add a dozen documents for a meeting.

Would a plugin be able to override the default functionality? It does seem to me to be something that should be ‘off’ by default.

3 Likes

+1 still needed. I add couple of .pdf files and then I must manually change two things:

• remove “!”
  • replace %20 with spaces for filename legibility
1 Like

I back up this feature request, i dont like the auto embedding of PDFs

2 Likes

Big +1 on this.
Is there still no solution to this?
For me it would just be enough to be able to change settings ether creating just a Link with drag’n drop or embed die PDF, and the other way around with some key’s pressed or so.

I just wrote up a whole post asking about this and then immediately found this post. I think this could be a super simple setting to toggle the default behavior of embedding an attachment vs. linking to it.

For what it’s worth my current workaround is to toggle “source mode” and then remove the ! prefix to turn them into links. This avoids the live editor dropping a huge PDF embed view everywhere.

2 Likes

I don’t think this is something that should be a plugin because the functionality of drag-and-drop is core to the Obsidian Editor. While someone could conceivably try to write a plugin which creates this setting I think it would be hard or impossible to tell the difference between a drop event and someone typing or pasting in the ![[path.pdf]] text.

I agree that this feature should be added. I’m trying to streamline my workflow, downloading PDFs and inserting them into a note file where I take notes on them, but having another plugin store the actual .pdf file somewhere else. But embedding the PDFs all the time slows Obsidian down, and takes up space in the note, I’d rather just open a separate pane from a normal link.

Anyone figure out a way to do this yet?