Documents deleted from folder

Hello! I’m a (very) new user to Obisidian.

I am currently using Obsidian with Obsidian Sync. I opened the app only to be greeted with almost all of my documents in one folder disappearing one-by-one before my eyes! I quickly checked my phone and second computer (laptop) and found the data was gone from those devices as well.

I have searched the forum to try and find a solution but I don’t see anything pertaining immediately to my situation. Below are some details:

Two devices are running macOS 13.0 (Ventura), one is running macOS 12.2.1 (Monterey).
My phone is running iOS 16.0.3
Obsidian v1.0.3

The community plugins I’m using:
Readwise Official
Tasks

Can anyone help in pointing me to something I may have done wrong or I can check?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Did you check Time Machine for local snapshots to recover your files?

I was able to restore the files from a backup. However, I’d like to know what happened as this is very concerning. Either I did something wrong or there’s a serious issue with the app.

Are you mixing iCloud + Obsidian Sync? That would be my first guess.

Mixing two sync tools can lead to race conditions. And iCloud can remove files from local to save storage space. Obsidian respects external changes, so they would appear to disappear.

Thank you! That’s something I never considered when setting up Obsidian Sync. I located the folder of all my files in my Documents folder which was synced via iCloud. (I forgot that it was.) I turned off the iCloud sync on all of my devices now so hopefully that prevents anything else.

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.