I’m a new Obsidian user but an experienced tester. I’ve tried searching for this “glitch”, “known behavior”, “previously reported bug”, but have been unsuccessful. If it’s a repeat or an expected behavior in the Obsidian context, my apologies for the wasted bandwidth.
Steps to reproduce
- Create a new note in an existing vault.
- Type [[ to open a selection pane.
- Type a selection search term
- I would expect to see only returned results wherein the characters entered into the [[ ]] construct are consecutive; i.e. entering the term “resilience” returns results containing “resilience” or “Resilience” or “RESILIENCE”, or some mixed lower/upper case version and only those results
- The first n results do contain a form of the term “resilience”.
- The displayed results then devolve into a sequence of characters where the individual characters in the term occur not consecutively (screenshot follows): i.e.
[[History of Western Philosophy And Its Connection with Political and Social Circumstances from the Earliest Times to the Present Day.md#]]
- The Bold characters in the above example spell “resilience” and this is the next result displayed after those results which contain the complete word.
- It would appear that the search pane finds the first n consecutive letters from the search term and then proceeds to the next letter(s) in the search term, selecting the next occurrence within the result.
- I would expect a set of results which contain the complete word or phrase requested for the search and only the complete word or phrase.
NOTE: I grant that this does not cause a user problem since the results containing the complete word or phrase are at the top of the list, but I’ve never seen this behavior in a search algorithm before and was concerned that it might point to an underlying fault that is less obvious. Is it possible that this character level search and retention of data is causing some performance issues on the backend? You can see in the screenshot below that the tool starts picking characters at the folder name and then extends into the file name. Please feel free to ignore all after “Good Morning”.
- Operating system: MacOS Catalina 10.15.7
- Obsidian version: Obsidian v 0.11.13