Disable automatic update not working (v1.5.3 to v1.5.8)

What I’m trying to do

Trying to stop obsidian from updating automatically but all the suggested means fail (it keeps updating my installation from v1.5.3 to v1.5.8).

There is a bug related to the display of markdown tables when creating them in a dataview query result. The resulting table has all of it’s column values shifted one position to the right from the second row on , i.e. a table like this :

|   A  |  B  |  C  |
| --- | --- | --- |
| 11  | 12 | 13 |
| 21 | 22 | 23 |

will end up looking like this:

|   A  |  B  |  C  |
| --- | --- | --- |
| 11  | 12 | 13 |
|      | 21 | 22 |

Things I have tried

I’ve tried removing the app and reinstalling several times from diffrent packages (snap, .deb, appimage) but ALL of them seem to have the 'Automatic updates ’ enabled by default and disabling does not seem to persis, so even if I manage to reinstall the version 1.5.3 and have a session in that version, after closing the app the 'Automatic updates ’ is on again and the version is back to 1.5.8. (also, with the snap installation, I’ve made sure to disable snaps autorefresh with sudo snap refresh --hold=forever obsidian, to no avail)

Please if anyone could help me solve this problem I would be veeeery grateful, I have a ton of scripts relying on dataview queries that format markdown tables and if I cannot circumvent the automatic update I lose more than a year’s worth of query scripting … :confused:

Happened to me but I didn’t know about the persist.

I’d be surprised if anyone here would give you info on what’s where in the config folder.

Maybe try disabling WiFi and enter/quit the app in succession to see the update uncheck sticks?
Or if there’s a way like on Windows – there must be some way on Linux too – to disable network access for Obsidian or its updater (if you want to use say the Surfing plugin for browsing inside).

1 Like

Mmmh good points I didn’t even consider this, it seems that the ‘Automatic update’ is enabled by default and turning off the WiFi was sufficient to prevent obsidian from updating immediately when the app is opened for the first time.

Thanks a lot, now the rollback persists!

1 Like

Did the same thing yesterday. The option to update stays in off position.
No need for further action.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.