Directly entering Unicode via ALT+X

Use case

In my everyday work, I use different Unicode characters (e.g. diacritics like ā, ś, Ḫ or š). In Obsidian, it is not yet possible to enter Unicode characters in a handy and quick way. When working on Windows and on a keyboard without numeric keypad the option to press ALT and then a specific code on the numeric keypad does not work (and this is in general only a workaround, the “pure” Unicode code is always the best solution for interoperability).

Proposed solution

I have collected the Unicode code of all the characters I use; most of them I already can memorize. In LibreOffice it is possible to type the Unicode code of a desired character (without U+) and then press ALT+X in order to convert the code into the corresponding character. It would facilitate the working with Unicode enormously if it were possible to implement a workflow like I have described for LibreOffice above.

Current workaround

At the moment, every time I want to use such a character I have to copy it from a list.

3 Likes

Try this: Unicode input in Windows - Wikipedia

For the record:

Thanks, but this is only a workaround I want to avoid. I am looking for a “native” Obsidian method.

1 Like

Why should there be one? It’s an OS function. And actually the Alt+Numpad++ hex digits solution in Windows is that OS’ way to do it, not a »workaround«. Although I agree it’s difficult on laptops w/o keypad. A Windows deficiency, not one of Obsidian.

1 Like

The ALT+X method works for LibreOffice, why not in Obsidian?

Because it’s a non-standard way LibreOffice “invented”, to make entering Unicode (in LO apps) easier. Kind of “keyboard macro”.

1 Like

And exactly this non-standard way should be implemented into Obsidian. I suppose more people need this feature. At it’s core it might be a Windows problem but the end User would profit from that feature very much.

Well nothing is impossible. Maybe someone will come up with a plugin for that.

The following issue seems to address the same problem:

@AtrusRiven
If you’re still interested, see:

1 Like

This might help for the:

When on windows, shortcut Windows + . will bring up symbols and smileys menu similar to the one on Android keyboards. 5th tab opens symbols will all Unicode chars.

I found a very useful plugin that provides a workaround resp. an implementation of entering unicode by searching for the “name” of the Unicode character.

I opened an issue requesting an extension of the plugin in order to being able to search for the Unicode code(point): Feature Request: Extending Search for Unicode-Code(point) · Issue #3 · BambusControl/obsidian-unicode-search · GitHub

1 Like

Wow, how rude. As for the the Alt + Numpad + hex digits solution, it doesn’t work for common Unicode characters like ∴ . Try typing Alt + Numpad + 2234 in Obsidian and then in Wordpad to see the difference.